BusinessObjects Board

Open Doc to Report Instance Passing Report Filters

Hi There,

I have been through all of the documentation I can find on Open Document but have a question still outstanding. I think the answer is no but would welcome any input from you guys.

We are on BI4.1 SP02 and have a dashboard that uses open doc to drill through to webi reports passing parameters and the report refreshes based on these to return the report content the user asked for.

These drill through reports take a very long time to refresh and we were wondering whether it would be possible to pre run the report overnight. Remove the parameter conditions so that the report contains all data. Then put some input controls on the report and somehow get the open doc from the dashboard to open the instance of the report and pass values into the input controls to filter the repoirt to only show what the user asked for.

This would therefore negate the need for the report to refresh on open.

I see there is a way to open a particular instance of a report but can you dynamically filter the instance via Open Doc?

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Many Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.

Dan

bhafcdan (BOB member since 2005-01-21)

AFAIK your initial suspicions are correct.

Open Document (for WEBI) doesn’t contain any mechanisms for filtering existing data in the report - it supplies values to prompts, which then affect the query being run, and hence the data returned.

If your query on the linked report takes too long to refresh, investigate the reasons why and address these. If there is too much detail, consider replacing it with a slightly more summarised version and link it to further child reports with increasing levels of detail. Follow best practice to optimise your report, etc.

HTH

NMG

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)