BusinessObjects Board

OLAP Universe on MSAS2005 cubes

All,

I have built an OLAP Universe on top of MSAS 2005 cube. I have BOXI3.1 base version in Windows.

I am seeing two immediate problems

1. Atrocious performance - A simple query that will return in a snap in say Proclarity or Excel keeps running for 15 - 20 mins.

2. Once results are available, if i try to go back to the “edit query” panel my webi report panel just freezes. I can close it and go back to infoview, but my current query is lost. I see this behavior ( report panel freeze - mine is Java2) also in a long running query.

Can anyone kindly assist with suggestions based on your experience.

ramaks (BOB member since 2009-03-31)

Hi Ramaks,

Regarding your 1st point. The performance could be due to a lot of reasons: For that refer the FAQ: Reporter
and if you are looking for a killer performance thenuse voyager wherein you don’t need a universe(but this will not something you can do as per your wish)

Point 2: Just go and check the java version in the Internet explorer > Tools> Internet Options> Advanced tab and in that see how many versions of java are running. Also see your environment variables setting. (I guess BO is world leader because of its functionality and performance :wink: )

If you have 2 and more than use only 1.6 which is the most suitable for your XI 3.1…

Please share the outcome. Right or wrong doesn’t matter. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Shiva

shiva.tomar (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Thanks Shiva.

Regarding 1 - I guess i am looking for any configuration tips that will improve OLAP universe performance.

Regarding 2 - Let me try it…I have had some users face issues with the report panel… and we had to re-install the JRE.

ramaks (BOB member since 2009-03-31)

Hi,

What tool are you using to run the query?

We found that with WebI over MSAS2005 (via a universe of course) the performance was improved dramatically by breaking up the report into multiple, smaller queries (which reduces the size of the dataset returned).
We got a 40 second report down to 11 secs with this approach (credit goes to our implementation partner who came up with this solution).

Hope this helps,
John

jcuttle :australia: (BOB member since 2010-01-21)