BusinessObjects Board

object description

You can do it from SDK.

Reema

reemagupta (BOB member since 2002-09-18)

I think the SDK only provides a read-only access to description… I havent played enough with the universe side of the SDK so I could be wrong but this was my impression on first glance…

avaksi :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

Reema: do you have some code you can share? I’ve played around with the idea enough to know that it would work, just haven’t had the time to complete the code…

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Ok, I was wrong… You can do this thru DESIGNER SDK. The Reporter SDK only allows you read access but Designer SDK allows you to Read-Write.

As VBA is not integrated into Designer the correct way would be to use VB. You could also do this from VBA env in BO.

reema, if you have something already written up that would be great.

avaksi :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

No, I donot have any code for this, but I also played with it a lot in the past.

Never had a chance to compile it.

Reema

An ex-coworker of mine did this with a program he wrote. Sorry, I do not have access to the code, it was in a very proprietary language. I do know that he used information generally availible about the repository ( mainly managero, I think) to read the descriptions from one location and store them in the repository. He had to have used the table.feild that the object referenced, because the object names were changed and it still worked. Hope this helps.

Lee Drake :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

That’s how I was going about it. Made it as far as determining that it was possible, then quit. One of many things on the back burner at the moment.

What I do have is some PL/SQL that does the work directly in the repository. Which, as we all know, is not supported. :shock: And since it’s PL/SQL, it only works for Oracle.

This sounds like a great project to get posted to the SDK Code Samples area… (hint hint to anyone with a spare moment…)

Dave

Would you please post that PL/SQL code.

JaiGupta (BOB member since 2002-09-12)

You should be able to write something that updates the UNV_OBJECT_DATA table. Each Object ID in the Universe has a SELECT Statement can can have a HELP statement for the description.

Basically… create a table that contains the ‘SELECT’ object SQL, and the descriptions and insert into the UNV_OBJECT_DATA table where the Select statements match.

The OBJ_DATATYPE can contain either S, W, or H (Select, Where or Help). The Help Rows are just duplicates of the SELECT rows, with the descriptions filled in.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Dave,

I have found old sample code for testing the object description stuff.

In this code, it is assumed that object select value and description is stored in a database table and then it is used to update the object’s description in a universe for those objects which have the same select value.

let me know how can I send you ?

Reema

It will be beneficial if you can post the code in CODE section of this forum. That way everyone can have a look at it.

Just a suggestion!!!

dcdas :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Durgesh,

I cannot do that as I am not a moderator.

Reema

If you like send your code to BOB’s e-mail for publishing to the Code section :smiley:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Oh…sorry…I did not realize that…Dave is the man then…

dcdas :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Send it to busobj@forumtopics.com. :slight_smile:

Please include a description for the code sample as well.

I’m a bit swamped, but will try to get the code posted as soon as I can.

Dave

Did it already. :slight_smile: It’s in the archives from the BUSOB-L listserv; a quick search turned it up in this topic.

Dave

I have send it.

Reema

Hi,

I have a requirement to update object descriptions from db table in BOXI R2.

I have no idea how to do this :frowning: and if anyone can guide me then it will be a great great help.

Thanks,

raaj (BOB member since 2006-09-14)

A couple of utilities that you may find helpful:
Update universe definition from database table
Mass update to object names / descriptions

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks - Dwayne.

I am 100% positive that I can count on BOB if I run into issues.

:+1: Your help is greatly appreciated :+1:

raaj (BOB member since 2006-09-14)