Good Day,

I have same object with same SQL in 2 different class. Example

Class: Customer Address
Object: Country
SQL: Country.CountryName

Class: Store Location

If I had used Customer Address.Country in a report, then I want to find out exactly that Country from Customer Address is used. Is it possible?

Many Thanks for the replies

Susa (BOB member since 2005-05-20)

In our universes we have created a help text per object for this reason

Class-tree: Customer Address 
Original Object Name: Country

This helps us to track and trace where the objects is coming from.

Sappollo

sappollo (BOB member since 2003-05-07)

Thanks very much. Is this the only way to do it?

Hi Sappollo

Could you please let me know the following?

1. Where is this help text added?
  2. How is this help text retrieved from a report using SDK?

Many thanks for your help

sappollo’s suggestion is geared more toward the query panel. When you have an object in the query panel, it displays the object name only (doesn’t include the class name). Like sappollo, we procedurally put the class name and object name as the first part of the description (in Designer). That way when you are in the query panel, you can view the descriptions (at the bottom of the screen) and know what class the object is from.

All of that said, I’m still not clear on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you parsing the SQL and trying to determine the source class/object? Are you looking at a variable in the report (.DocumentVariables) and trying to determine the source class/object? Give us a few more specifics, and that may help trigger some suggestions.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Dwayne.

I am trying to document reports. But the reports have objects (with same SQL) in more than one class. Let’s assume I have 2 classes as given below:

Class: Customer Address 

Class: Store Location 

I have used

Customer Address.Country

in my report. When I run the documentation utility I want to capture that the Customer Address.Country is used in the report.

THanks very much.

To get at the information you seek you’d need to loop through the dataproviders in a document, and for each dataprovider, loop through all the queries, and for each query, loop through all the results.

For instance, the first result’s object name of the first query of the first dataprovider of a document would be accessed as follows according to the SDK documentation I’m seeing…

Thisdocument.DataProviders.item(1).Queries.item(1).Results.item(1).Object

The class of that first result object would be accessed in a similar fashion as follows…

ThisDocument.DataProviders.Item(1).Queries.Item(1).Results.Item(1).Class

Hope that helps!

Jeremy Rogers :us: (BOB member since 2003-07-01)

Susa, you may be interested in this utility. It is a utility I used in my conference presentation last year, and it documents all of the objects used in a series of reports. Sounds very similar to what Jeremy suggested, and what you are trying to create.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

The utility looks great.

Similar to what I am looking for. Thanks every one for the feedback.