BusinessObjects Board

None of the Data Insight tasks work after DB upgrade

Howdy folks, I’m reaching out to the community at large :slight_smile:

We moved BOIS/BODS/IPS over to an SQL 2012 instance (from SQL 2008 R2 Express ). According to BOIS documentation, when moving to a new DB instance you must use the “recover” option of the IS RepositoryUtility. After migrating to the new DB instance and running the IS RepositoryUtility, none of our Data Insight tasks (column profile/content type etc…) will run. Actual task/job failures attached. Also attached is the exact upgrade workflow we followed, entitled “switching_to_new_DB_instance”.

I opened a “high” priority incident with SAP two weeks ago (#233506) and have not received any feedback on things to try in order to resolve the issue or a “ball park” response on what my situation could possibly be. Mind you, SAP has been responsive and we’ve exchanged lots of dialogue, just nothing is materializing.

Facts we’ve discovered about our situation:
-Column profile & content type jobs will finish successfully IF executed on an IS View instead of directly against the data source connection. Any task/job that profiles the data source connection directly (without a Data Insight view) will fail.

Questions asked by SAP:

• “how” did you migrate the databases ?
    Answer: for all three DBs (BOIS,BODS,IPS) we did a backup on 2008 and restore on 2012 through SQL Server Management Studio.

-Did you just use the MDF files? Answer: No.

-Do you still have the SQL 2008 MDF files? Answer: Yes.

*** our environment:
BOIS: 4.2 SP5
BODS: 4.2 SP5
IPS: 4.1 SP6
all applications vertically stacked on one VM running Win 2008 R2

***to handle the NullPointer exceptions (as mentioned in attachment ) while running a Data Insight task, the following note suggests deleting & re-creating all Data Insight connections. We have over 80 IS projects that would be affected by doing this and is not a solution:
https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2085424/E
extract.zip (59.0 KB)

wilsoja1 (BOB member since 2012-02-10)

FYI… this was resolved with help from Manoj @ SAP. SQL table manipulation was involved to get things right. The Connection utility from Ticket is suspect:
https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1863547

Hi wilsoja,

We are exactly in same situation.

But our versions are IPS 4.1 SP3, DS/IS 4.2 SP05 patch 5.

As per this note we can’t use promotion management to migrate IS content. https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/0001773657. So proceed as below exactly as you did.

When restore old IS datbase to new IS database and then ran ISRrepositoryUtility to sync the repo with new server.

But Tasks and Schedules has been deleted during recovering repository. I already tried with import method but skipping tasks saying object already exists.

SAP saying instead of wasting time to recovery create tasks and schedules manually. Which are hundreds in each landscape. Which is not possible at all.

Is there any way to recover tasks and schedules?

Appreciate if you could help with your experience on this.

Thanks
Venky

venky0905 (BOB member since 2015-09-09)

Venky,

We have never been able to get promotion management working for IS objects (Data Insight)…ever :slight_smile: In prior IS releases (before 4.2 SP5) the import/export functionality really didn’t work 100% either in my opinion.

Anyway, these days we only use the import/export to file functionality.

To address your main question:

I don’t have a solution for you. I suspect you could manipulate things at the DB level but it’s highly discouraged from the folks at SAP. I highly suggest getting into contact with Manoj @ SAP. Send him a quick note on this forum. He was the only person that really helped us in our migration disaster and knows IS inside & out.

Hi, Thank you for your quick response. Yes we have been always faced issues with transport. Is he Manoj Dhyani? I found him in sdn forums.

Thanks
Venky

venky0905 (BOB member since 2015-09-09)

Greetings, yes, that’s the one guy on this planet that can fix any Info Steward issue. regards.