BusinessObjects Board

Nested Prompts

Hi All

I have an issue with the Modification of the report. The report has a VBA Macro, we will be soon migrating to BOXIR2,WEBI reporting. Since the WEBI doesn’t support the VBA Macro we to need modify the report.
The Requirement is I have three objects

1. A
  2. B
  3. C
    The user should be prompted to select any one of these three Objects.
    If user selects Object 1) A, then he is prompted to enter from the LOV’s
    and so on.

In other words the user will select any one of the choices,1)A or 2)B or 3)C and he should be prompted to enter from list of values. Is it possible at all without using a VBA Macro?

I want to test it in version 6.5 first before we migrate to BOXIR2.

If I have solution for this can the experts of the forum kindly guide to through the steps.

I have tried Nested/Cascade prompts.
Thanks in advance

SWV (BOB member since 2007-11-16)

It sounds like you’re actually looking for optional prompts, which would allow a user to select values for 1 or more prompts. Is that correct? You can possible do this in Designer, with this trick from the Designer FAQ. It will allow users to enter ‘ALL’ at the prompt to get all values for that prompt. If you do that, then publish the document with ‘ALL’ selected for all three prompts, then ‘ALL’ with become the default value for each prompt, allowing users to leave it alone, or select a value.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Thanks for the Help Micheal, but its just that the user is not used to this kind of prompts where they need to enter * or % but there is no other way ,as BO doesnt do optional prompts.

Not yet . . . stay tuned. 8)

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi Michael/All
I have tried the trick and it worked, but i am trying to cascade the optional prompt with a date range. This for another Macro report which has cascading prompts. I have been trying different condition doesnt work and checked BOB formus also.

For Example
1)A-> prompt for date range
If user eneters values for A prompt then he should be promted for a date range.
Any help will be Appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

This feature is called Cascading Prompt…

In XI R2 we have a predefined Menu by which you can generate this…

However for 6.5 , please visit

http://www.geocities.com/prabhatdotnet/Cascading_Prompts_Webi_6_5.doc

Prabhat

prabhat :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-16)