BusinessObjects Board

Need to translate the universe to another language and fast

Hi,

I need to translate the univers that I design from english to polish,
and I want to do it fast and maybe to separate this job between two or three people,
I thought to do it by using the repository database, to migrate the correct table or tables to Excel, to translate and to load it again to the database

My question is where to update and maybe there is another easy way to do it

for your advise
thenks,
Eyal

Eyal :israel: (BOB member since 2003-10-29)

Hi,

Well as you probably know what you are trying to do is completely unsupported.

The field you need to update is UNV_OBJECT.OBJECT_NAME
and UNV_CLASS.CLASS_NAME
The help text is store in UNV_OBJECT_HELP.OBJ_DATAVALUE it is more complex since it may be split over several lines

The approach works fine as long as you don’t use and @select objects in your universe.

The supported method of doing it is with the designer SDK. Where you can read out/in the relevant information.

The translation can happen in Excel or what ever. Just keep in mind that you will have to rewrite all the reports. They can’t be migrated easily.

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)

Take a look in the BOB Downloads forum, at this posting. It would need to be modified to be able to change the class name, but should give you some ideas for an automated (and supported) solution.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Eyal,

Another “low tech” way to do this would be to create a report on top of your repository database that lists all objects and their descriptions, copy this report to excel, translate the descriptions, and copy the translated descriptions back from Excel into Designer MANUALLY.

I know this is a pretty crude solution but you it require a minimal amount of upfront work and you can probably get anybody in your office to do the manual part.

Andriy_Mysyk :us: (BOB member since 2003-02-12)

I think that the BOB VBA Way that Dwayne Hoffpauir suggest is the best way to do it.
I Modified it for rename also the classes names, I still have to find the correct VBA code to translate the filter objects but I hope it’s going to be OK.
Thenks,
Eyal

Eyal :israel: (BOB member since 2003-10-29)

Search is Your Friend ™

If you had searched with the words “translate” and “universe” you would have seen that this topic has been discussed before. :yesnod: Some other reading material for you:

Muli-Lingual BO Environment

This one mentions a product with a link to a vendor’s web site; the link no longer appears to work, but you could approach the vendor and see if they still offer the product, or something similar…
Customized Object Names

Good luck! 8)

[Moving to General Discussion]

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)