BusinessObjects Board

Need advice on Hints

If we have to use Hints to improve performance, is it better for designer to handle it or should we ask DBA to take care of it? If we ask DBA, how does he use Hint in the query? I know the procedure to use as a Designer. I am using Oracle 9i. Any help is appreciated. Are there any extra points to be considered while choosing between designer and DBA?

Thanks,
Zen.

zenmasterbo (BOB member since 2006-02-15)

Please do a search on the issue before posting it. The following thread may be useful for you

https://bobj-board.org/t/15442

If you search “Hints” you will get plenty of topics on this issue.

Hope this helps.

salam :pakistan: (BOB member since 2005-01-27)

Salam,
I did do the search before typing my question. I was not able to find exact answers for my questions that is from DBA point of view on implementing Hints.

Thanks,
Zen.

In my opinion the only thing the DBA can do is advise you what hints to use for each of your queries. And implementing them in your BO reports/universe is something he will not be able to do. So that will be up to you.

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

Hi,

if you build your universe on views, these views can have hints in them and that’s something the DBA could do.
Otherwise I would build it in the universe, since there’s no such thing as generic hinting. One hint can improve performance on report A and decrease performance on report B…

Regards,

Gerard

highandstoned :netherlands: (BOB member since 2005-08-01)

Thanks Jobjoris and Gerard for your thoughts. I am hoping to get few more advices…

Somebody please post your valuable suggestions. I need them badly.

Thanks,
Zen

What more do you want to know? You (or your DBA) either create views with the necessary hints (if your universe only consists of views which I doubt) or you’ll have to add the hints yourself, either by changing the SQL hard-coded or adding objects in your universe.

But if your Database (tables, partitions) is analysed correct and indexes are built correctly the Oracle Optimiser should do most of this trick for you I suppose. And that’s something your DBA CAN do.

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

And since you’re on oracle, you can use query rewrites and skip the aggregate awareness…that should improve it.

If you’re hoping to get more…you can wait a few years :sleeping: …what more do you want and why do you need them badly ??? Get some proper DBA who can tell you about hinting!! Or try google…it’s a better place for hinting…

highandstoned :netherlands: (BOB member since 2005-08-01)