BusinessObjects Board

MyInfoview for all users

is it possible to design one MyInfoview layout and use it for all users?
I’ve read something about a setGroupPreferences.Zip utility…but have not been able to find it.

esiegel (BOB member since 2009-11-09)

Hi,

Maybe this can help?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

You would also need to create an object of type “MyInfoView” using your template user and copy it to everyone’s Favorites folder. This is in conjunction with the utility Marek linked to.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

thank you both…
we are running XI 3.1 SP2…should this script work correctly?

any particular ramifications I should know about?

I’ve never actually tried that script, but I am sure any issues are noted in the 4 pages of comments for that topic. I know from writing my own routines to set preferences that little changed from R2 to 3.1 in this regard so I don’t foresee large issues.

I can offer one potential pitfall. You do run the risk of overwriting a user’s preferences should you choose to apply preferences to all users multiple times. This could get really annoying for your users.

If I simply copy the MYIFOVIEW object from one user to another (in the CMC), will that give them both the same layout? or is there something else that needs to be done to activate the page for the new user?

Copying alone will not set their start page to use the MyInfoView layout. Their start page must also be set to “My InfoView”. Manually, that option is set by going to Preferences -> General -> Start Page in InfoView. This is why you must first set this option for your model user then apply the model user’s preferences to your regular users.

Yes, I understand that the start page must be set to My InfoView…but my question is: if that is set, and I copy my “MyInfoview Object” to the other users, will they see what I see, or is there something else that needs to happen for it to take effect?

They will see what you see. However, the MyInfoView objects are not linked so a user could modify their specific layout and would no longer match the layout of everyone else.

That is fine…this is a base we want to create.
I tried copying my object to another user and found that unless they already saved a My InfoView layout, mine did not show. If they had already saved one, I could replace it with mine.

Strange…need to do some more testing.
Thanks for your help.

got it working…I think.
Using a script we can copy all preferences to all users.
We can then copy the My Infoview Object that we want to use to the users.

This works for new users.
If we copy the My Infoview Object to a user who already has one, it saves the copy as COPY OF MY INFOVIEW but still uses the existing object.

Is the anyway to force the overwrite?

I’ve never found a good way to overwrite any existing object in XI. For reports, it’s possible to change the physical file using the SDK but I don’t think MyInfoView objects are backed by a physical file. Does deleting the existing object before copying work?

yes…in fact deleting the existing object and renaming the copy works also.
If there is a way to globally delete and recopy the object in each users’ folder via a script, I could do that periodically also.