BusinessObjects Board

My Problem in selecting 'All' value in Cascading Prompt.

Hi,

I have three prompts- Country, State, City.

If I select Country as A, State as X and City as ‘All’, then it’s returning the Cities of all the countries, not for the Country A and of the State X.

I’m able to run the report if I select LOVs instead of selecting ‘All’.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

bog

bog :india: (BOB member since 2007-08-17)

The subject of your topic is contradicting the problem being mentioned above.

Is it just 3 separate prompts in one object or they are cascading prompts?
What is the logic being used for ‘All’ functionality

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Haider,

Thanks for the quick response.

These are cascading prompts.

I’ve coded in object SQL as ‘SELECT DISTINCT ( ‘-All-’ ) UNION’.

I have coded in condition like:

@Select(ALL Components\City) IN @Prompt(‘City’,‘A’,‘ALL Components\City’,MULTI,constrained) OR ‘-All-’ IN @Prompt(‘City’,‘A’,‘ALL Components\City’,MULTI,constrained)

Thanks
bog

But you did not say the order in which those 3 objects are placed as cascading prompts.
Where did you set the country and state prompts

Haider,

In the Universe, ‘State’ object properties condition box I have placed the ‘Country’ condition and in ‘City’ object properties condition box I have placed the ‘State’ condition object.

And in the report level I have placed the ‘Country’ condition in the conditions box to fire the cascading prompts.

In the running if I click on for City’s LOVs the it popups State prompt and Country’s Lovs.

e.g: if select country as A and state as 1 and city as -All-, then it is showing the cities of all the countries and states.

Thanks,
bog

You have learned the hard way that items selected in the first two levels of your cascading prompt are not applied to the where clause of your query. Only the final selection is applied. If you select all cities, then that’s exactly what you get.

The concept of cascading prompts, as implemented by Business Objects, is that the prior lists are presented only to reduce the list of options for your final selection. If the final selection is not unique to the selection path (for example there is a city “Dallas” in Texas and also in North Carolina, among others) then you will get everything you select.

I showed how to implement cascading prompts with “All” for this exact scenario (city, county, state) in a presentation done last year. It can be downloaded from the conference presentations page from either link in my signature (company or blog).

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi,

Is this ‘All’ option for cascading LOVs available in XI R2/R3?

Thanks
bog

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem. I want to restrict the values of the second parameter based on the selection in the first parameter. Can anyone tell me how to do this.? And I forget to mention that I am using BO XI R2. I am trying to achieve this in webi.

Thanx in advance.

Regards,
Obaid

obaid :saudi_arabia: (BOB member since 2008-01-03)

I guess you are looking for this which could have been found in the Designer FAQ in semantic layer forum

Hi Haider,

Thanx for the reply. But I need a little more than that.
Here is the scnario:

I have two separate hirarchies in a dimension. The parent of both is the same. But there is no relationship between the child of both the hirarchies.
Therefore I cannot have one drop down. I can easily built two drop downs, But the problem is If a parent “abc” is selected in the first drop down, the second drop down must show only that parent. The benefit is that the user does not need to search for the parent again in the second drop down.

I hope i have cleared the sceneario.

If you have any idea please let me know.

If you have two hierarchies with the same parent, you can concatenate the parent and child objects and provide them as an LOV object.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi,

The solutions seems workable, but can you elaborate a bit more.

It was meant to concatentate the parent and child objects and use it as an LOV object instead of doing it individually

Hi,

The list will become too large. Correct me if I am wrong, the drop down 2 cannot be restricted on the selection of drop down 1?

That is exactly what the Cascading LOV option described in the FAQ (linked previously in this topic) is designed to do. However, only the selection criteria from drop-down #2 will be applied to the query. The selection from drop down #1 is only applied to the items displayed for the LOV for the second item.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Can you elaborate more on two different Hierarchies … you have with a single parent ?

If you think the list will be large… then you should go for separate reports… for each Hierarchy.
or
You might need an indicator field in the database.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)