BusinessObjects Board

Multiple user inputs for prompts

Hi,

I have a object in the universe with lov’s A,B,C,D,E,F.

I created a prompt in the report level or even condition in designer level.However what i want is when the user sees the prompt in report level, if he enters * it shoul;d select A and B, % C and D and / E and F. Is it possible to do this without creating additional objects in the designer.I don’t want to craete additional objects but if necessary can create them. I tried going through the cascading prompts but could not work it out.

Thanks for the help.

xen :india: (BOB member since 2004-11-13)

I’m confused. Are A,B,C,D,E & F six different LOV files? Can you be more specific?

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

No they are all lovs of a single file. If object1 is my object . It has lovs

A
B
C
D
E
F

OK, so you want the users, when prompted, to be able to select one or more of those values, or enter * and get all values. Is that correct? This needs to be done in Designer. See here for instructions.

No I don’t want that. I have already incorporated the use of all in prompt. What I want is to do something like ALL but if user enters * it will select only A,B.If he enters % it will select only C,D and so on.

So in my report the user will have flexablity to selcet All if necessary or Aand B or C and D or even induvidually.

OK, I see what you want. The only way I know of to do this would be to set up a database table that will associate * with A & B, % with C & D, and so on. Thsn link that table to the table with the actual values and build your LOV off the new table.

ohhh…so there is no way this can be done at the designer or reporter level.

Can I associate lovs of various objects to a single object. K…here it is I can create 3 diffrent objects in the universe level and customise their lovs as per my requairement. Now can I use these objects somehow to obtain what i want without creating additional prompts.

I don’t know of any way to do that. You can only associate one LOV with one object.

ok…thanks for the input michael.

If you are using Oracle, may be you could define a condition object in the universe on the following lines.

CASE when UPPER (@Prompt (‘Prompt text’,‘A’, mono,free,User:1)) = ‘*’
THEN
TableName.ColumnName in (‘A’,‘B’)
when UPPER (@Prompt (‘Prompt text’,‘A’, mono,free,User:1)) = ‘%’
THEN
TableName.ColumnName in (‘C’,‘D’)
ELSE
TableName.ColumnName in (‘E’,‘F’)
END

Let me know if it solved your problem.

thotas :us: (BOB member since 2003-10-23)

I created an object for each “Where” clause like:

OBJ1:

(case when table.col in ('A','B') then 1 else 0 end)

OBJ2:

(case when table.col in ('C','D') then 1 else 0 end)

OBJ3:

(case when table.col in ('E','F') then 1 else 0 end)

Then I created my selection object with a where clause of:

1= (Case when @Prompt('Which Group?','A', {'*','%','/'}, mono, free) = '*' then @Where(Class\OBJ1) when @Prompt('Which Group?','A', {'*','%','/'}, mono, free) = '%' then @Where(Class\OBJ2) when @Prompt('Which Group?','A', {'*','%','/'}, mono, free) = '/' then @Where(Class\OBJ3)  else 1 end)

That should restrict your groups properly (and you can HIDE OBJ1-OBJ3 and still have them work). If you enter in any other value, you will get all values. You can change that by changing the ELSE clause.

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the replies srivasta and digipen. I am using teradata…its not taking case any idea about it.

Hi,

This is what I am using and am getting a syntax error.

In select clause site.sitename (char)

and

(case when site.sitename IN (‘B’ , ‘Bi’ , ‘Ch’ , ‘Co’) then ‘1’ else ‘0’ END);

It parses ok…however if i just try to see this object against the main sitename field in reporter I get error BO unabler to fetch data.

Again for the final prompt object if we are using it as a condition, it gives error o0n using case in where clause.

Any insight on what i am doing wrong or I am understanding bthe whole thing wrong.

Thanks.

Any ideas on this people. I am sure I am missing something somwhere but can’t figure it out.

Tq.

Atlast got it. This logic did not work, so I used derived table and now its working precfectly fine.

Thanks fopr the help.