BusinessObjects Board

multiple prompts

Hi,

I need to get two values as prompts in a report, which are to be selected from LOVs.
The second LOV depends on the first LOV selected. Is it possible to create prompts of this kind in XI R2?

Eg: I need to select “country” first from list of countries and the next prompt “state” should vary according to the country I select

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Meena

Meena (BOB member since 2005-04-20)

Hi,

You can use the Cascade prompts for this.

Visit the following link for more details:

bvrswamy :india: (BOB member since 2006-06-18)

Yes: How do I create cascading or nested prompts?

Note:
Cascading prompts work backwards in Buiness Objects and do not generate cascading conditions, example:

Imagine Cascading prompt:

1. Prompt for State
  2. Prompt for city according to the selected state

In Business Objects once you have created the cascading prompt you will first be prompted for city, then when you look at the LOV you will be prompted to pick a state, then the LOV for city will appear (backwards).

Now you pick the state “Georgia”, the city LOV will display all cities in GA, and you pick the city “Rome” (note there is a Rome in GA and a Rome in OH). The final condition applied to your data provider will be City = Rome (without a condition on state!). So you will get data for Rome, GA as well as Rome, OH!

To get around this you must guarantee that the final value picked in your prompt (here: city) is unique. In this example you might have to create an object “City with Zipcode” defined as:

City || Zip_Code

and create your cascading prompt based on this new universe object.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks a lot Swamy & Andreas!!
I found the links very useful. :smiley:
And I’ll try to back track as you said…

Meena (BOB member since 2005-04-20)