BusinessObjects Board

Multi-Version Environment

Hello all,

The Org I am working for is in the middle of an upgrade from 4.2 SP3 to SP6. Currently we have our Dev instance up and somewhat functioning, SSO still doesn’t work…but I think it’s in AD.

I have the QA instance up and once SSO is working, I want to replace the old SP3 instance.

My question is: Is it possible, plausible to have an environment where the QA instance is SP6 and Production is still SP3? What kinds of issues might I run into?

BOE is only used as the scheduling platform. Crystal Reports are scheduled and delivered via the platform.

EDIT I want to mention that this is only coming up due to storage constrains at the Org.

hmnathanstotts (BOB member since 2018-03-08)

You’ll have issues with developing on a higher version and pushing things to a lower version.

We always have a freeze period for code deployments between DEV and QA and then QA and PROD whenever we do upgrades in stages, i.e. DEV is upgraded first, then QA and then PROD at the end.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

If the Crystal Version isn’t changing, would we still see issues?

hmnathanstotts (BOB member since 2018-03-08)

The biggest issue you’re going to have is that there were major updates to the security libraries at 4.2 SP4. Client tools, Crystal, etc. that can log in to SP3 will not be able to log in to SP6 and vice versa.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)