BusinessObjects Board

Moving repository multiple times: New BOMain.key each time?

We are moving our repository to a new server. Our DBA did a test run and I created a new BOMain.key file. However the process will be repeated at least once more (for the final move into production) and possibly more frequently as all the little wrinkles in the process are ironed out.

Question: is the BOMain.key file that I have now going to work each time the repository is copied over or will I have to create a new BOMain each time? It would be nice to be able to re-use the one I have, as it means we can begin pushing this out to the users well in advance of D-Day.

Beth Katcher (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi,

I think you need to create a new key file each time!

Regards
Sebastien

If the parameters (username/password, database connectivity) is the same, you should be able to use the BOMain.key over.

However, did you make sure that once you copied the repository, that you IMMEDIATELY changed the connection information in the copied repository for the Universe and Document domains to point to the new location(s)? If not, you will be setting yourself up for cross-linked repositories. See this Supervisor FAQ.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks for your input.

Anybody care to submit a tie-breaking opinion? :smiley:

Beth, at some point in the past, our DBA has done this for us, and I have not had to recreate the BOMain.key. So I’m speaking from experience.

Plus, the BOMain.key file is essentially the logon / connection information needed to get you logged into the security domain – so it is logical to me that, if you’re just changing the data in the tables – not changing how you log in to get them or where you get them – that you could continue to use the BOMain.key that you’d previously generated.

Good luck!

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

If the connection details to the security doman stay the same, then you shouldn’t need a new key. So the username, password, DB/service name all match up.

Changing the server the DB sits on doesn’t necessarily mean that you need a new key though. If you’re using Oracle for example, the TNSNames file/ONames entry can keep the same DB/service ID but have the physical server details updated. In this case, you probably wouldn’t need a new key.

If the repository was moved into a new DB that was being referred to as Fred instead of Bob, then you would probably need a new key.

Paul Williams :uk: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

my $.02…

You only need to update bomain.key if the username/password/instance name changes. Basically, anything that you input in the connection setup when you do a Safe Recovery.

Of course, you could optionally create a new key file with a different name, to allow your users to switch between the old and new repositories for testing.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks, all. My confusion stemmed from not knowing exactly what the BOMain.key file contains. It sounds like (thanks, Anita!) if I have the same username/password and same connection string then all is well and I can distribute the new key file whenever I want prior to the final migration.