BusinessObjects Board

Moving a Report from One Document to another Existing Docume

I am new to this and hoping this is really simple to do, but could not find anything in the user guides or help. What I want to do is take a fairly complex report that has been created in one BO Document (.rep) and add to an already existing document that already contains several reports. Basically like you can do with the MSExcel Function of: Right Click on a tab; select Move or Copy; choose a different open workbook; check create a copy and then you have the existing tab with all formulas and macros in the other workbook. I am hoping that this can be done in Business Objects. Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

punster (BOB member since 2008-08-20)

Hi and welcome to B :mrgreen: B.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but what you are trying to do is not possible.

If your dataproviders in the report already have the fields that you want, to recreate the report tab itself is generally not that hard and I would be suprised if you could not do it in a day. The easiest thing to do is to put the report in structure mode so that you can see how the whole thing hangs together.

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

That’s what I was afraid would be the answer - especially when I could not find anything at all in any of the user guides. So I will do my manual rebuild. At least it lead me to find this sight and I am happy to now have a place to turn to when I come across other bumps in the road. Thank you for your quick response and for being here.

One technique that “sometimes” works, at least on simpler documents. Use this utility to copy the data provider first … Copy Data Providers / Copy Report Variables. From the “source” report, do a Save As…, and change the file type to template (*.ret). Now on the “destination” report, go to Format, Report, Apply Template… Cross your fingers, and test thoroughly!

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Well, close but no cigar. I was able to download and install the Copy Data Provides/Copy Report Variables utility, do the add-in process and see the add-in functions on my tools menu. When I did the “Apply Template” I did get the report layout from the source - half the battle. But what I really needed was the data provider, because that was what I was hoping not to have to redo. So when I tried following the steps as outlined on the posting with the download to copy the data provider, even with both the source and the destination reports open for editting, I get the error message “Error 40: No rights, cannot edit data provider.” Any suggestions, or am I plumb out of luck?

Do a File, Save As… on the document, and select the “Save for all users” option. I haven’t quite figured out when this is necessary, but it seems to solve that error.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thank you! You are correct that it did solve the problem. To this day I remember the poem my geometry (and yes it was long enough ago that it was still taught as geometry and not some fancy math sequence name) teacher telling us when discussing division by fractions, “Ours is not to reason why, just invert and multiply!” So as much as we might want to know why it works - at least it got us to where we need to be!