BusinessObjects Board

more Company with 1 universe

Hello!
I’m a cookies. :shock:
I have a Db that manage, inside his tables, more companies with different company Id.

Is there a way for manage the company at the reports execution?
The prompt defined at the reports level is not enough, because I need to filter all records with this company ID (also the list of values)

I have tried to use also ApplicationValue but I have not found how create a mine variable.

Thanks in advance!

Enrico

ps I hope that my english is not so bad for your understanding!

orcabigia (BOB member since 2005-09-06)

You’ve lost me…

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

Hi Enrico,

If you have a prompt at report level that requests the user to select a company id, and also within Designer you have joined the tables properly, then the report should only extract data for the chosen company id.

With regards to your requirement for the Lists of Values, there are several other threads about this. You need to do a search on CASCADING PROMPTS.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

:wink:

jac :australia: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)

enrico;

Welcome to B:bob:B!

If you need help with cascading prompts, look here. If we’ve misunderstood your requirements, perhaps you could explain a little more.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

I think what they need is a “stub” join, or self-restricting join at the universe level. The question seems to be about restricting acess to a company by company ID / user combination. If you have a table where the user is assigned to a company, you can use @variable(‘BOUSER’) and compare it to that table, return the associated company ID, and use that in a self-restricting join on the company table in Designer.

That way when a user runs a query that includes the company table, even a list of values query, they will only see values for their company ID. Is that what you’re looking for?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hello!
Thank’s a lot for all your reply. :smiley:

Perhaps my biggest problem (other my english) is understand the filosofy that work under BO.

My project:

• One database that contain all data for more company.
  • Also the classification data are define for each company (for example, the items of articles, the customers, the class of item).

well, I need that in my report the user choose the company, after this choose the the class and, again but optional, also the article (it’s only an example).

In my requirement I need that the values of class that will be displayed inside the prompts will be filtered (for company the classes values, and for company and class the articles values).

I have tried already the cascade prompt… perhaps (osp…surely) I have wrong somethings, because for filter the second prompt I receive again the question about the company and I don’t want it!

For the company (if I will not find any solution) I can join the user name (and who must work with more company will have more login name, one for each company), but how can link more prompt (example, choose the state, the country and after the city) that set a condition for the successive?

I have try also the use a text file for manage some variable (with the function ApplicationValue), so I should use only a login name for each people, and add more link on desktop for each company, but also in this case I have some problem, because it don’t load any value.
And I need it also for try to manage all my labels and titles because the reports will be for many languages.

my text file named “MyVar.txt”

Sub Main()
DIM AA as number
Dim BU as String

BU = “SMMO”
AA=“1”

End Sub

and my BO called:
“F:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 6\bin\busobj.exe” VARs MyVar.txt

Is it possible create an object in the designer, assign its value with a prompt, and use it for all other questions?

Sorry for my confusion…

thanks again

Enrico

Hi Enrico,

For your cascading prompts one thing you could do is to create additional concatinated objects that sole purpose are to select on. For example create an object something like company.name +’/’+ class.name. And you use this object in the conditions panel of the report.

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

Hi again!

well, i have retried the “cascade prompt” and seem work.
But it’s not enough form my requirement because some parameters may be not required and the “cascade prompt” work only if all these values are (the name spoke!) in cascade, and I have in the same report, more cascade! For example Company/classes, company/articles and so.

Unfortunately Who have asked me the reports start his requirement from a previus system and not with the potentilities and possibilities of BO.

Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Did you look closely at the post from Dave regarding BOUSER? This should let you do what you need.

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

Hello
Yesssss thank, and this may solve only the first level of cascade (about company), but also for this level may be not so clear, because the users that must work on several company must have more login name (one for each company).

I keep this solution as last resort!

Enrico