BusinessObjects Board

Migration BO 5.1 to BO XIR2

Hi,

Can anyone clarify my doubts about migration

BO 5.1 (Source) - To migrate we need to install BO XIR2 in the same machine or different machine.

Thanks in Advance

AvadiZone :india: (BOB member since 2008-04-19)

You can install BOxi on a separate box. But both solution will work.

You need to install it on a different machine.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Many Thanks for the reply!

Presently I have Dev, preprod, Prod domains are available in BO 5.1.

So I need to create separate BO XI server install for Dev, Preprod, Production.

Could anyone Explain?

If you can afford 3 boxes, by all means go ahead and do three different installs on three different servers. But if you can’t afford more than one, install the software on one box and create folders in CMC and Designer like Development, Test, Production etc… Hope that helps.

Thanks Zack.

So I can install in one box and create three different Universe connections for Dev, Preprod, Prod. Is my understanding is right?

Cheers,
G

Yes, only if you can’t afford multiple servers.

Thanks for the clarification. I could understand clearly.

One more question, Which came up in mind is if Iam going setup Dev, Preprod, Prod in a single server. Then my assumption is Dev, Preprod and prod are separate folders in XI2.

While in maintainence, If Iam going to modify universe or create reports.Then how we move the files from Dev to Preprod and finally production. Is just moving the files across folders? BIAR will not come in picture? How the implementation will happen?

Your thought Please

Cheers,
G

Yes

Yes

BIAR will come into picture when you have multiple servers and when your severs can’t talk to each other, meaning they are not in the same network. The implementation is pretty straight forward, promoting reports/universes by moving them from one folder to the other.
That said, you can use BIAR to back up your contents on a regular basis. Ideally, backing up CMS database and the Filestore at the SAME time is preferred. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your Detailed Explanation! Zack

Your answers made me clear on migration. If you have any lessoned learned information on migration.Please share or Email me

Thanks again

Cheers,
G

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

There are many. One thing you need to make sure is get at least XIR2SP2 full install. Import Wizard was a night mare before sp2. Hope that helps.

Thanks Zack and Mike