BusinessObjects Board

Migrating from 5.1.8 to 6.5

I did a search on BOB and didn’t see a lot of references except for knowing this can be done. My skills are quite raw so I’m hoping someone can help out.

I have a client that is upgrading from v5.1.8 to 6.5 and we’re looking to use VBA as a solution to upgrade and I think the process would go as follows:

1. Open document(s) from 5.1.8
  2. Refresh (if needed)
  3. Save to local directories
  4. Publish to 6.5

Problem is I am not 100% sure how to set the macro or app up. Is there any references anyone has that I can ask and learn from? Thanks in advance.

Neal

ngosz :us: (BOB member since 2003-09-25)

I’m not quite clear on what you actually want to do?
We’ve just done a v5 -> v6 migration (ZABO) and didn’t touch the documents - users get a message when they open them in v6 for the first time but after saving them they become v6.
Are you talking about corporate docs or something like that?

As for ‘setting the app up’, you can access the BusObj object model from within the application itself, with VBA, or create a standalone exe using VB. You might have a bit of fun and games getting the correct instance of the app to load if you do it from VB if you have v5 and v6 installed on the same box, I assume it would be just making sure you pick the correct Reference.

RobinM :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-25)

What we want to do is use VBA to convert 5.1.8 reports and repository to 6.5 in one swoop instead of opening each report and then have the message to save in v6. What did you do with the migration that didn’t touch the documents?

In searching BOB, I’ve seen that this has been done, but need to know how to get going.

If you’re talking about docs on disc then I would write a VB project using the “BusinessObjects 6.5 Object Library”, create a new BO app instance, and then scan the folders, opening each .rep (busobj.Application.Documents.Open) and saving it (busobj.ActiveDocument.Save or busobj.ActiveDocument.SaveAs). You may have to set busobj.Application.Interactive to false to prevent the message popping up, I don’t know.

So far as migrating the repository goes that’s seperate from the docs, you just do that from Supervisor v6.

Our migration involved upgrading the repo (one click from Supervisor), deploying new versions of the client, and upgrading our servers. We left users’ documents entirely as they were and just let users know that they’d get this message the first time they opened them in the new version.

Just curious - how long did your migration take?

The project - months! (no thanks to a certain software vendor & tech ‘support’… :shock: )

Actually implementing the change - couple of days to deploy (SMS) the new clients, couple of days to rebuild servers, half an hour to upgrade the repo :smiley:

Aw, what do you mean - they never give any grief! :rotf:

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling I’m going to struggle through the code since I haven’t touched anything with VB in over 6 years. I have the concepts in my head, but trying to figure out how to put the code in place is a different story.

Hi Neal,

I have some BO VBA application (better said couple of macros) that does exactly what you need. It takes one by one all BO reports of version 5 from the given directory, opens them, save them and publish them into the BO repository.
I need to do some more small changes in it and it will be ready during the w/end, I hope. Then I can share it.

Marek

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks - any help is greatly appreciated. I’ve been pretty much re-learning all week. :smiley:

Hi Neal,

please read this post of mine:

Marek

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)