BusinessObjects Board

Migrate reports to another server

I have a BO server with many reports. Now i need to backup all of the report and deploy on another servers. I can set up new BO server but how can i migrate all reports to new server?
I see that BO have an migrate tool but I canā€™t use it because I canā€™t see any reports in there, it just show the categories, nothing else.
Thanks.

namho (BOB member since 2008-05-09)

To copy objects from one BOBJ server to another in 6x version, create a backup of existing repository database.
For more details read the supervisor FAQ from here

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

haiderā€™s suggestion may work for Corporate documents, depending on whether or not your new server(s) are starting without a repository.

Alternatively for Corporate documents, you could import the documents to one of your personal folders, and copy that server folder to the new server, and then re-export.

If you have other reports (such as personal documents or Inbox documents that have been previously read/retrieved) - then those only exist in specific folders on the server itself.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I followed the instruction in FAQ:

First of all, copy your repository database to its new location.
ā€“> OK, my repository database is on another server, so I dontā€™t need to do anything
Open Supervisor, and on the Login screen, click on the Admin button, and follow the wizard to do a Safe Recovery. This will generate a new .key file. Note: The .key file only contains the pointer to the security domain.
ā€”> OK, I can generate a new key pointing to the repository database
Continue to login to Supervisor, and go to Tools - Repository. Select your Document Domain, and click edit. Change the connection to point to the new repository location. Do the same for the Universe Domain. Repeat this process for any and all document and universe domains. Very important!
ā€”> fail to login : Message : Internal problem.

So whatā€™s the problem ?
Thanks.

What database is used for the repository, check in the SQL client (Toad, SQL plus) if you are able to login using the same credentials given while doing safe recovery
Also check the version of database being used, is it listed in the supported platforms file for the BOBJ version

My repository database use SQL 2005.
I also check the credentials, it is OK.
The version is the same with my old server.

Currently my old server still work normally. Do I need to stop my old server (Webi services , apacheā€¦)?

No need to stop webI services of old server, as the login is not working for your desktop applications like supervisor, designer.
You have to review how the database copy was done in SQL server.
Because there may be issues related to the database owner & privileges when the restore of old repository database was done in destination server.
Talk to the DBA and ensure that correct procedure was followed while restoring.
We had similar issue and found that the DB user which created the old repository database has to be present with sufficient rights in target server where the restore is being done

Thanks Haider for you help.

I found out something.
If I login with an account without supervisor rights. BO will inform that: ā€œYou are not authoried to use supervisorā€. So is that mean BO can point to my old repository database already?

And by googling to search for my problem, someone said that BO6.5 SP2 is not suitalble for SQL 2005. But i donā€™t think so, because iā€™m in use it.

And i also try to export all the table in SQL repository db into Access database. And try this Access db to run safe recovery But nothingā€™s better.

In worse case, if I can not restore repository, I can recreate manually all user and rights. But whatā€™s about reports. How can i got it. (I canā€™t use migration utility)

You told about the BOBJ version now which is 6.5.2
And yes SQL 2005 is officially supported in 6.5.4 which might be one of the reason
The ā€˜not authorized to useā€™ error may not be necessarily thrown for the assumption tha its pointing still to old repository

No, dont recreate users and security.
You have to identify where the problem lies by digging into it

• check the SQL server version and see if you can use the one supported by BOBJ
  • Check the ODBC which was used while doing safe recovery and that its new repository database

I check again and find out I havenā€™t upgrated my BO into SP4. :?
But when I upgrate BO to SP4, it got some problem and it rollback some fixes, the errors are:
Error : Action Delete:Cannot access the file C:\BusinessObjects\bin\dxsqlbo.dll
Error : Action Delete:Cannot access the file C:\BusinessObjects\bin\cpcoll.dll

After that, I run safe recovery again, and I can see BO supported for SQL 2005 now, but only support OLEDB not ODBC.
(I think maybe the reason is problem when upgrade to SP4).
anyway I chose OLEDB and create bomain.key successfully.
But it seem nothing be changed, the message : ā€œInternal problemā€ still appear when login. :frowning:

By the way , do I need to upgrate SP2 and SP3 for BO before upgrate to SP4. or SP4 version included SP2 and SP3? Because I see that ODBC driver of SQL 2005 included in SP3
Thanks

You can do a direct upgrade to SP4.

Have you checked this I told earlier

And yes I had done a similar upgrade to SP4 and found that ODBC was missing under SQL 2005 in the middleware selection, but couldnt figure out why though

Iā€™m DBA, too.
But I donā€™t think issues related to the database owner & privileges. Because the repository db is still on old server. All what I want is create new server and point it to old repository DB.
By look into old BO server, I see all the connection from BO to SQL server made by account sa.
And I take the same account to set up in new server.

I also tried to use OLEDB driver to connect to SQL 2005 in the middleware. I used account sa to connect and it didnā€™t allow me to create bomain.key. here is the message:

No repository checking when variables are used for the connection
and after that is :
No security domian exist for this connection.

:? I donā€™t think migrating is so trouble like that.
Thanks a lot Haider :slight_smile:

I guess you told this now :), and all this while I was thinking you want to create a backup of old repository database and point to it in the new BOBJ server

So in that case you dont have to run any safe recovery and create BOMAIN.key file again.
Just copy the key file from old BOBJ server and paste it into the two locdata folders of new server.
Login in to supervisor and Infoview and see if you are through

Follow your instructions.

I still got error and message is something related to bomain.lsi file.
And i also canā€™t login into supervisor: message
Server error : CS
Specified RDBMS is invalid : MS SQL Server 2005

Maybe the new server got some problem with SQL 2005, and it canā€™t connect to SQL 2005.
My old server connected to SQL 2005 by ODBC connection. But in new server I didnā€™t have. maybe that 's the problem.

But my big question in this is how to get all the reports in old server (I think itā€™s in BusinessObjects\nodes\ServerName\mycluster\storage) and run in new serrver.
We just copy and paste in the same place in new server or do any else?

Delete or rename the bomain.lsi file from documents and settings folder and then try logging in to Designer or supervisor

The old BOBJ server is on 6.5.2? and still connects to a SQL 2005 database using SQL 2000 data access drivers?
Try replicating the same on new server

Copy storage directory if there are any personal docs or read inbox documents of users.
And note that it does not contain your corporate documents

Yes , I try to replicate all in my old server .
But two things I canā€™t replicate:

1. Upgrate to SP4 completely:
    my old server upgrated to SP4 (on flash form when start supervisor, we can see the version).
    But the new one is not (I explain above)

2. ODBC on SQL 2005

My old server connect to repository database by ODBC. and in step choose middleware connection, we can see the ODBC in SQL 2005
But in the new one I canā€™t install it.

About copying reports in Storage folder:
Like what you say, I just got the personal reports.
But what about the corporate reports? where itā€™s storaged and have any way to take it?
Thanks

Have you replicated in the new BOBJ server, of what is there in old server?

Does it mean that your old server too got SP4 and repository works using ODBC for SQL 2005.

Can you try doing safe recovery by selecting SQL 2000 ODBC in the middleware and pointing to SQL 2005 database, see if the problem persists

Corporate reports are stored directly in the repository