BusinessObjects Board

MetaData from Oracle Table to Universe (update descriptions)

I have done quite a bit of searching on how to get my descriptions updated in my universes. Our metadata is stored in an Oracle Table, Our universe is already built. Now I want to update my objects with correct descriptions. I have read alot of postings that suggest External Strategies, this seems to work if you are creating a new universe or putting new objects in an existing universe however, I want to update existing objects with new descriptions.

There is a Resolution on the Tech Support Website #4210 that states the only way to do this is using the Designer object model (sdk) - that external strategies will not work. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this or can let me in on an easier way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Thanks!

Brenda
Aegon USA

bmaly (BOB member since 2003-03-17)

That’s true, since your universe has already been built.

Supported or unsupported? :wink:

You can manage this, if it is important enough, by updating the universe in the repository with the help text. What I have done in the past is to set up a “personal” repository that I can update and play with without affecting anything that is “real”. I’ll export my universe to this play area, then insert the help text rows directly into the repository tables. After I import the universe back to my workstation, I can check the work, and if all went well, I will then export to the “real” repository.

The help text is added based on the select from the object matching the table and column name of the object in the database system catalog.

I’ve only done this with Oracle, but it should be workable with other databases as well. The script that I used should be out here on Bob somewhere, after I post this I’ll do a search and see if I can find it.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Okay, found a topic.

The better idea is to use the object model and update the universe via VBA. In fact, that is mentioned in the topic I linked above. But this can at least give you an idea of what is involved…

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)