BusinessObjects Board

Merging of two XI Enterprises - advice needed

Ok, I’m fairly new to Business Objects administration and security etc and I am taking on more and more responsibility for my organisation’s BOXI install. Part of my remit is to merge together two Enterprises - the problem is that security is going to be a major issue.
The department I currently work in deals with housing, and the security is fairly open - i.e. users can get access to any of the housing universes if they so wish but they only get access to their team(s) reports folder.
However, we are now merging in social care reports, universes, connections, users etc that have to be restricted to certain users.
So, I have a couple of broad question areas…

1. What is the best way to import universes and reports from one enterprise to another? If I use the import wizard, will imported reports work with the imported universes? If I import universes and some reports one day, will I be able to import further reports and ensure they still work on another day?
  2. What will be the best way to ensure the imported universes and reports are secure (i.e. social care objects are not visible to housing users)? Do I create a top level folder with locked down permissions to store all social care objects under? What is the best way to set these permissions?

Sorry if any of the above is a bit vague, if you need to know any more info, please let me know.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dan

danb (BOB member since 2008-05-09)

1. The best way is to use Import Wizard. You can do pretty much everything you’ve asked for using Import Wizard.

2.To create security for objects(columns), you need to set security in Designer. Start here

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Hi and welcome to BOB,

Indeed you need to use the import wizard.

A good solution is to make a full audit/big picture of you security in both current environements and then in the target one. This will allow you to avoid side effects!

BR
Sebastien

As the other posters have stated, Import Wizard is the best way to move contents from environment to environment.

You can store the universes from Housing in one folder using the Designer, and store the universes from Social Care in another folder (again, using Designer). In that way, you can set appropriate access permission by folder.

Hope this helps.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

All the above is correct, are the other enterprises within the support level? bo5.1.8+… You have the right idea. organize in one enterprise, upgrade and intergrate into one and use the import wizard. you can use this to do a biar, copy a db, etc use something other than mysql

It would be nice if you have another server… With all the toys you have you can probably setup a nice clustered system.

dsoriano (BOB member since 2008-01-29)

Thanks a lot for all the advice - much appreciated :slight_smile:

I have imported some universes and the LOVs don’t seem to have come across - is there anything I should have done or should do?

danb (BOB member since 2008-05-09)

Are you on SP1 or SP2? The Import Wizard in SP1 has problem with LOVs. But it is fixed in SP2.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

This can also be caused by non existent rights on universes as far as I remember well …
:slight_smile:

HTH,

Correges and Smith :fr: (BOB member since 2007-02-26)