BusinessObjects Board

Measures Getting Inflated (Not sure is it a Fan Trap)

In my Universe I have a problem of the measures getting inflated. There is a one to many join between tables FCT_ORD_ADJ_DLY_STO_CAS and
VW_DIM_PDT_LVL_CAS_BAS.

I get a measure Ord Lin Adj Qy from table FCT_ORD_ADJ_DLY_STO_CAS and dimensions Case UPC Number and Consumer UPC Number from the view VW_DIM_PDT_LVL_CAS_BAS. For each Case UPC Number in table FCT_ORD_ADJ_DLY_STO_CAS there is n number of Consumer UPC Number in the view VW_DIM_PDT_LVL_CAS_BAS. This inflates the measure by that n times. How can you resolve this using aliases and context.

I am also attaching my Universe for your reference. Any help or guidance would be appreciated
Trap.unv (44.0 KB)

cravie (BOB member since 2005-04-20)

Hi cravie,
What you are facing is natural. in a 1-m relationship, if the measure is coming from the ‘1’ table and the dimension from ‘m’, then the measure gets repeated across all the rows of the dimension value.

Dont know if this is the solution, but you can try converting the measure into a dimension. You will still be able to make calculations on it at the report level. Also ensure that you have the ‘Avoid Duplicate Row Aggregation’ option switched off in the table properties.

Bye

Shashank P.

Shashank :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-06)

From the Designer FAQ: What is a fan trap, why is it a problem, how do I resolve it?

And a similar discussion about chasm traps follows it in the FAQ.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)