BusinessObjects Board

Managing large numbers of tables and columns in many univers

Hi,
I am experimenting with universes again in the never ending quest to make them easier to manage. One of the things I want to achieve is that one field is only ever defined once within one universe. That field is then linked to derived universes. This is to minimise the work of changing object names and help text. (We will have in excess of 8,000 fields when we are finished with this, hence the desire to minimise this work.)

My current experiement is to build a number of derived universes each of which have 4 kernel universes. (There will be about 12 Kernel universes in the end.) 2 of the Kernel universes are common to all derived universes. Each of these initial derived universes are templates for future universes. I will copy the derived universes, add joins, add contexts, and hide all the classes that I don’t want to show in a specific derived universe. This works a treat with only one conspicuious problem.

The problem is that when we add a field to a table in one of the kernel universes we must go into each derived universe in which the kernel is linked and hide the column if it is not wanted in that universe. This is a bit tedious.

I tried hiding the field in the kernel universe and then unhiding it in the derived universe. But it seems the hide on the kernel universe over-rides the hide on the derived universe. (which makes sense but I wish it did it anyway…)

Does anyone out there know a way to hide the field once in the kernel universe and then unhide it in the derived universes in which we want the field? Then we would not have to update all universes…

Much Appreciated

Peter Nolan

peternolan9 (BOB member since 2003-02-01)

Hi, Peter;

It sounds like a great idea, but I don’t think it’s currently possible to do that. That would be a good thing to add to our Wish List.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)