BusinessObjects Board

Maintaing the Universe versions

Hi,

I started to creating one Universe and I would like to maintain the Universe versions this helps to me if I do any mistakes I will get the previous version.
As per my knowledge while importing we have to change the connection secured to shared to have back-up, but I believe there will be another method where we can have the version.

Pls let me know if any one come across the scenario.

Thanks,

Tims_Bo :india: (BOB member since 2008-07-26)

Your question is a little unclear. Have you used the Import Wizard? You can create and restore back ups with this utility, which can include universes.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Ok Let me explain clearly…

I am in the process of developing the universe, everyday I am doing some changes and exporting to the CMS. Assume that I have exported 10 times, Now If I want 5th time exported Universe so I will get it??

I Hope my question is clear now.

Thanks,

Hi

I believe you needs to use LCM (Life Cycle Manager) or else go with third party version controlling tools like Borland Star Team or MS-VSS.

Regards
Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

You can do this manually by doing a “save as” on the universe each time before you export, then zipping the files and checking them into a source control package. But there’s nothing built into the tool that allows you to do that.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I believe, we need to post to the SAP people where they can fix it in the upcoming versions.

What do you think am I right??

Thanks,

As mentioned use the LCM tool!

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi Tims_Bo,

in my opinion there is actually no tool available to support you in this way.

As work around you can use a version control tool to store each version of an universe.
To identify changes between two versions you can use one of the Exceltools within this forum.

https://bobj-board.org/t/141886

https://bobj-board.org/t/59650

Regards, André

André Lützkendorf :de: (BOB member since 2009-09-28)

What I believe the original poster is actually looking for is something where each time the universe is saved, it automatically saves a ‘version’ of that report to be able to go back to.

As some have pointed out, no such tool, but there are a few alternatives that will do the job with a few more clicks from the users end.

The SAP LifeCycle Management (LCM) tool I believe has this functionality, but I’ve never used it myself.

Here at my current position, we use NOAD EQM. Every day when I’m done working I ‘check in’ my universe into the EQM Version control system. Then next time I work on it, I ‘check out’ the universe.

It works very well , IF YOU’RE DILIGENT in checking in/out your universe. Sadly there is no automated plug-in for Designer for anyone to even build such a tool.

As others have mentioned however, you can accomplish the same result by simply performing a ‘save-as’ whenever you want. I used to us this method at my previous employment, and would actually save the universe with a date extension each day I worked on it. When it was ready to be imported into the CMS for QA , I’d rename it without the date.

Both methods work well, the tool method is probably more useful if you have any need for accountability or IT audits.

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)