BusinessObjects Board

LOV based on other LOV

I have Switch Name and Interface Name. I want to choose in Interface Name @Prompt a value based on Switch Name chosen in previous @Prompt. Is it possible?

Rem-8 (BOB member since 2009-01-26)

That is what is termed as cascading prompts, read on

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Iā€™m a bit confused on this. I have many objects that are referenced to my Switch Node Names like this:

@Select(CPU _ DATE\CPU Node) IN @Prompt(ā€˜Node name:ā€™,ā€˜Aā€™,ā€˜Nodes\Node Nameā€™,multi,constrained)

This takes all Nodes\Node Name as a list to my prompt. On some reports I have to put Interface too. So I put on the report a Node Name from each of class, not just one. So my Interface from each class has to be:

1. the same as a list of interfaces list from other object
  2. be aware of node name choose

Itā€™s a bit confused, because I donā€™t know how can I do only one Node Name and Interface Name and be aware of other tables without creating joins between tables (as that as too much for me)

More description is required to understand this.

sukrav :india: (BOB member since 2008-01-29)

OK. In my report I have two objects:

Node
Interface

Each one has a ā€œWHEREā€ condition with Prompt like this:

@Prompt(ā€˜Put interface name (Np. Gi0/4):ā€™,ā€˜Aā€™,ā€˜Nodes\Interfaceā€™,multi,free)
@Prompt(ā€˜Put node name:ā€™,ā€˜Aā€™,ā€˜Nodes\Nodeā€™,multi,constraint)

I have to have such reference because there is a special list of nodes taken from all of those from DB. Now Iā€™d like to have two prompts like that, but when first (Node) will be chosen, the second LOV for Interface would show me only interfaces from that specific chosen nodes, not all. Iā€™m confused about that example in FAQ and I do know know still how to restrict it.

Iā€™ve heard that when 2 apples + 3 apples are understandable but 2 plums + 3 plums is not, that the person is an idiotā€¦ but that might be the case :hb:

Did you ever get an answer to this?

dbobrow (BOB member since 2006-10-17)

[quote:c4186c5c9f=ā€œRem-8ā€]OK. In my report I have two objects:
I have to have such reference because there is a special list of nodes taken from all of those from DB. Now Iā€™d like to have two prompts like that, but when first (Node) will be chosen, the second LOV for Interface would show me only interfaces from that specific chosen nodes, not all. Iā€™m confused about that example in FAQ and I do know know still how to restrict it.

[/quote]

You need to create different objects for different purposesā€¦

• You need a new Node and new Interface Objects that you will use in creating Cascading LOVā€¦ :yesnod:

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Well, I still canā€™t get this right.

I have a table in Designer which is called ā€œIFUSAGEā€. There are some columns and two crucial ones: TARGETNAME and IFNAME (Node and Interface). I created two objects: Node and Interface in m Test Class. So I have:

IFUSAGE/TARGETNAME for Node and
IFUSAGE/IFNAME for Interface. I can easily display those values.

Those objects are used in a report with other Test Class objects like Interface Usage.

There are also two other objets in class called Targets with objects like Node and Interface. This is done because there are a bit complicated operations on SQL which I did there and created a dedicated view TARGETS.

TARGETS/TARGETNAME for Node and
TARGETS/IFNAME for Interface

To have a proper report, I created two prompts for values to show only chosen Node and Interface:

@Prompt(ā€œ1 Give a node name:ā€,ā€˜Aā€™,ā€˜TARGETS/TARGETNAMEā€™,multi,constrained)
and
@Prompt(ā€œ2 Give an interface name:ā€,ā€˜Aā€™,ā€˜TARGETS/IFNAMEā€™,multi,constrained)

This is good. It works. When I choose Node I have a list of all proper nodes, when I choose Interface I have a list of all distinct interface names. Thereā€™s only one point. Iā€™d like to have an interface list dependent of what I choose in Node. I go to Properties of TARGETS/IFNAME object and choose Edit. In Filter I choose: ā€œTARGETNAME in listā€ and putting a prompt like: ā€œPrompt(ā€˜1 Give a node name:ā€™)ā€. Save. Works (hopefully). So I run the report in DI. First I put Node name. Then I click Values on Interface andā€¦ again, all the list of interfaces are there. So it doesnā€™t work.

This is my exact problem.