BusinessObjects Board

LOV + ALL

Hi,

I’m facing a challenge: Combining the use of cascading prompts and ‘ALL’ option to select all values in LOV.

These things work fine when done seperately. But I face problem when I try to make use of both together.

For Example, if I have to select city after choosing the state (cascaded prompt) and If I need to give the users an option to give ‘ALL’ as input to select all cities(either by overriding LOV sql or by creating universe object), what happens is all the cities from all the states are getting selected. (not all the cities in the specific state) :crazy_face:

Right now, All I could do is:

1. have two prompts for selecting the state (one prompt achieves the cascading and the other prompt acts as a filter) this makes the users irritated
  2. Not give ‘ALL’ option and make the users select all the cities manually (but it might end up in ‘too many values selected’ error)

Is there any other way?

Thanks in advance.

Meena (BOB member since 2005-04-20)

Sorry, but many of us wish there were a way to be able to designate a cascaded prompt as a cascaded limit – but the product has no such feature at this time. (You should give feedback to BusinessObjects…)

In order to avoid prompting for the state twice – be sure that your limit prompt is spelled exactly the same as your cascading prompt’s prompt – and the user should only be prompted for state once.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi Anita,

Thank you for the clarifiation. :slight_smile:

But making the promts to spell exactly the same didn’t work here: as the prompt that makes cascading work, resides inside the object in universe itself (i mean, i’ve edited the objects query in universe and included the prompt in it), and the prompt that filters out resides in the reports query.

Meena (BOB member since 2005-04-20)

Sorry, then. We’re not on XI yet, so I guess this has changed. If you do a Search on “cascaded prompts” and/or “cascading prompts”, you’ll see lots of past discussions - and I guess in XI, they may be a little worse rather than a little better. :roll_eyes:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi meena,
I am using BO XI R2
I am working on the same issue " ALL in Cascading prompt"

have you solved the problem?

Kernal :india: (BOB member since 2007-07-12)

Read Designer FAQ
for ALL in LOV
For Cascading prompts

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)