BusinessObjects Board

Loop problem

Hi,

How to find manually loop in universe and which method to resolve.

Example - I have two fact table and two dimension table with join - whether its loop.

Regards

indmurugan (BOB member since 2006-10-28)

Yes there is a loop if you get 4 joins when objects from all tables are used in query. You can use contexts to resolve the loop.

1 context: 1st fact table, 1st dimension table, 2nd fact table
2 context: 1st fact table, 2nd dimension table, 2nd fact table

Thanks,
Raghvendra

Raghvendra Deshpande :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-26)

Thanks Raghvendra

Let me know in detail

1.how to find loop while designing the universe.

2.In what situation we will go for alias or context

as i know the solving method in universe PDF document ,let me explain in more details in situation like development and also in enhancement of universe design while loop occur.

Regards

indmurugan (BOB member since 2006-10-28)

You can find loops visually by looking at table joins.
A simple fact: when n tables are joined, there should be (n-1) joins in SQL query.
If you have 4 tables, when joined, should have 3 joins.
But loop causes extra join and hence restricts your result.

You can solve loop by alias or context. I donโ€™t think there is any hard and fast rule to use either alias or context. Use whichever method gets you correct output.

Thanks,
Raghvendra

Raghvendra Deshpande :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-26)

Hi, we have an extensive discussion of loops + contexts + aliases in a sticky topic at the top of this forum. Please read / review that.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi I have to rebuild some objects in the old universes. but when i click on detect Loop button, there are 6 loops shown up. and i see there are contexts in the universe. so my questions is If loops are taken care in the context does it still shown as a loop?

Naveen Vanaparthi (BOB member since 2008-07-02)

This is just wrong as it will lead to a chasm trap :!:

Instead your universe contexts should look like:
Context A: Fact Table A and all its directly related dimension tables and joins
Context B: Fact Table B and all its directly related dimension tables and joins

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi Dave,

The integrasolutions link in the sticky topic that you referred to doesnt seem to have the loop/traps info. The website is now called qbsol.com and i tried searching for fan or chasm traps but could not find much.

thanabhavan (BOB member since 2010-10-07)

I would suggest that you check on my blog (signature has link) for many of the similar topics that used to be on the Integra site.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)