BusinessObjects Board

Logging user activity

Hi,

Our management wants to know which users use AF, when, how long, what do they look at, etc.
The most important one is which usernames log in.
I have found a logging file that says what user did what, but I cannot make reports based on that.
Is there maybe a table that logs this, so I can run a report on that table?

Thanks!
Martha

twiki (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

If you’re users use AF to refresh reports, they should be getting written to the log files … accessible thru the Auditor product or adhoc querying

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply. Our users do use AF to refresh reports.

I did not know the Auditor product so I did some digging. Do you mean the Audit option in the Administration console? We do not have this turned on (yet). If we do turn this on, would it have a big impact on the performance?

And how would I be able to query the results? Which tables should I use?

Thanks a lot,
Martha

twiki (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

The only way to log activity is to do so using the Audit functionality.

Be careful what you turn on. You only want to log certain things. Otherwise you’ll impact performance.

I do not believe this will log AF activity other than report refreshes. I don’t think dashboards and Metrics are part of the deal.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

logon/logoffs are also be written to the log tables (another thing you can monitor)

Cindy Clayton created a universe against the audit tables … More details here: Report on WEBI audit information

Here’s another good thread discussing the tables themselves: Audit Tables

As for performance, Yep, there’s will somewhat of a degredation, but worth it overall, best bet would be to pilot it turned on and judge for yourself.

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)