BusinessObjects Board

Locating Objects in Report

Hi all,

Do you know if it is possible to locate where (and if) an object is used within a report - ie if there is anyway to highlight any redundant objects within the data manager???

I am trying to see if we can pull some fields out of a table in order to speed up processing, but need to find out if the objects are being used or not. I have written a report to show the documents which ref those objects, but now i need to see if they are actually being used in the report or not - and dont want to have to scroll through EVERY report, and calculation within each report to find out… :hb: There HAS to be an easier way!!! :yesnod: :nonod: :crazy_face:

Pleeeeeease!!!

Steve.

snakeboy :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)

There is a macro in the Downloads area of the forum, that scrolls through all BO reports in a given folder, and lists all the universe objects used in that report.
Go here:
https://bobj-board.org/t/16473

I have used it for a similar thing as you seem to be trying, and it worked great.

cabby (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

Thanks Cabby,

Though wont that macro only highlight objects pulled back by the DP - ie in the SQL??? I am not really concerned with objects that are in the Dp - as they may have been pulled in, but then not actually used in the report itself??? - what i want is to see a list of object that are in the actual report, as freestanding data, or the basis of calculations/filters etc, not just the DP… :?

am i off the mark here???

Steve.

snakeboy :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)

There are 2 things to consider in your approach

1. You will only validate against local files on the Pc where you run the test.
    I don’t know the size of your deployment but there may be another user somewhere who uses the fields you identified as “useless in your reports”

2. Yes there is a difference between data provider objects and report variable and variables used to build other variables (it may appear as not used but be part of a very complex formula.

Not simple but feasible once you know the pitfalls

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)