BusinessObjects Board

list of values

i have three prompts

1. category
  2. clulster
    a category can have many cluster
    as when i select a category in the pormpt
    in the list values of cluster it should show only the values of those which belong to the cateogy selected in the previous prompt how can i do this
    thanks

arvind.alex :uk: (BOB member since 2005-05-14)

This is known as cascading prompts, please take a look at the FAQ Designer section as it is covered there.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

The technique you are describing is generally called a “cascading prompt” and is detailed in this entry in the Designer FAQ. In later versions (XI) the facility for creating casdading prompts is built into the application. I haven’t tested it in Webi XI but it works quite well in Crystal XI. Haven’t had access to Desktop Intelligence XI (BusinessObjects reborn in XI Rel 2) so I can’t comment on how (if) it is implemented there.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

using the cascading prompts is the only way we can solve this types of problems or is there any other method

and i want the cascading prompt ie category (which we are giving as pormpt inthe cluster object ) to display in the report
how can i do that

Write your own prompt-handling code with VBA. That locks you into using full client reports only, and you cannot distribute those files via Webi.

Unfortunately, there is no “native” feature (until XI) that provides this functionality.

and i want the cascading prompt ie category (which we are giving as pormpt inthe cluster object ) to display in the report
how can i do that

The result of any prompt - cascading or not - can be displayed on a report via the UserResponse() function.

its not working out dave
i am using user responce function its not giving any thing
even if i select insert special field -query prompt
there its not showing the prompt with category
?

I expect, then, that there is something unusual about the way the prompts are set up. At the moment I can’t think of anything specific to suggest. If you can replicate the problem with an Island Resorts or eFashion report and post it here it might help.

ok this i am sending efashion
query with nested loop for city as state
testefashon.rep (39.0 KB)

The state value is not available as a prompt value but you can display it because it is one of the result objects. It is already in your table but if you want it displayed in a header use:
=Max()

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

yes it works
but i couldnt get the logic how will accept max function with a char(object)