BusinessObjects Board

LIST OF VALUES -Ricardo-

I have a list of values with a date format field -oracle data base- which is visualized in the format DD/MM/YYYY H:MM:SS

I want it to be visualized in format DD/MM/YYYY but I do not Know how to do it.

When using “TRUNC” I only get the hours, minutes and seconds to be 0, but I am not able to make them disappear of the list of values.

How can I do then?.

Thankyou for your time.

Ricardo.

PRGG1 (BOB member since 2008-09-05)

Hi

Try with to_char(Date, DD/MM/YYYY ).

Regards
Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

This is referenced in the Designer FAQ with a link to this topic:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

The idea is good.

It works BUT the problem is about the order.

As the date has been defined as a character, ¿how can now I order de field as if it was a date?

Hi

Then use the to_Date function to convert back as date.

Regards
Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Did you read the topic I linked? It’s all covered there. :slight_smile: If you convert back to a date, then the time still comes in. It’s simply the way it works.

Yes, I know it’s simply the way it does not work.

So basically your options boil down to 3 choices as I see them:
[list=1:c27d7c8eff][:c27d7c8eff]Turn off the LOV for a date
[
:c27d7c8eff]Convert the date to a character and figure out how to sort, also know that you have to convert the character back to a date before comparing to the database column, also know that by doing this you lose the calendar widget for the LOV
[*:c27d7c8eff]Educate the users so that the time of 00:00:00 doesn’t bother them[/list] I believe that either the first or last option are the best for the longer term solution.

Thankyou very much for your attencion.

Finnaly, one more question:

Do you think Business Objects will ever be able to solve this problem?

It depends on whether you view it as a problem. :wink: If they don’t think it’s broken, they won’t worry about fixing it. I have no idea where this stands on the internal priority list, or if it’s even on the list, or if such a list even exists.

We took the last option - educate your users that 00:00:00 is fine. This is years ago now, but after a while they didn’t even see the 00:00:00 :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)