BusinessObjects Board

List of tables

Is it possible to get the list of all the database tables used in a BO report?
Please let me know if any one has created a macro that automatically gets the table names used in the report. I have about 100 BO reports which needs to be analyzed for the list of table names used in each report.

I have managed to create a macro that can record the objects used in a report but i wonder whether we can record the table names used.

Thanks,
Maddy

maddyforums (BOB member since 2006-02-23)

Moderator note:
The topic has been moved from General Discussion forum to SDK (VBA/ASP/JSP) forum.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

I have done this, but it’s not pretty. What I did was open each data provider and capture the SQL (only for universe-based data providers, of course). Then I strip out the text between the FROM and WHERE keywords, and extract table names from there. It’s all done via text / string manipulation so it’s subject to being confused by sub-query structures and so on, but it got the job done.

Before you ask, I don’t have a copy sitting where I can get my hands on it at the moment. But that’s what I did when I was faced with the same challenge.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Two existing utilities may help:
List objects used in a series of reports
Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

The missing part is the cross-referencing, and yes I realize that one is a .rep model and the other a .xls model, but at least it’s a place to start.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for your response. I would like to know whether there is anyway to tweak this macro for BO report documentation to get to the database table name. I am able to get to the object names but not finding anyway to get to the table names.

Thanks,
Maddy

maddyforums (BOB member since 2006-02-23)

I guess I should have started with that part. No, table names are not exposed in the Reporter / Desktop Intelligence object model, only in the Designer object model.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)