BusinessObjects Board

List all documents that use a specific universe object

Hello,

I need to know if there is a way to list all documents that use a specific universe object (i.e. object “retail sales” from the Current Sales universe is used in the following documents, doc1, doc2, doc3, etc). I’ve tried to build a SQL statement that would handle this issue but to no avail. :?

Would anyone know if this is possible by using Visual Basic (we don’t use Oracle here just to let you know) and if so, would the code be available as well.

Thanks for your help.

rw4705 (BOB member since 2004-01-20)

Please, take a look at this thread in the BOB download section.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

It is possible. Clive Brennan did a presentation, "Full Client Auditing Without Plug-ins”, at our user group about 2 years ago. It was done on an Oracle database, but the process should be similar for other db vendors.

Follow this link to bonymaug.com, http://www.bonymaug.com/5-20-02.htm. He implemented this at JPMorgan Chase. It’s still in use to this day.

Hope this helps.

Steve Bickerton

SteveBickerton :canada: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the help but I probably did not make myself clear with what I was looking for.

I need to find all documents that currently are using a specific object (so if someone were to change this object–how many documents would be affected).

A report that would answer this question would look something like this:

OBJECT NAME AND UNIVERSE:
Object Name: Retail VolumeObject Universe: Company Sales

Listed below are all documents that use the Object named: Retail Volume from the universe: Company Sales

1. Monthly Sales.rep
  2. Weekly Sales.rep
  3. Yearly Sales.rep
  4. Quarterly Sales.rep

Im not sure if there is any VB code out there for this request but since this is one report that I have to create, I have to ask…

Thanks…

rw4705 (BOB member since 2004-01-20)

The link Andreas provided would do that, subject to the caveat that you must have all documents stored in a particular directory for analysis. There is no way - even with Auditor - to guarantee the results.

Auditor provides some reporting, but only on reports that have actually been used through the 3 tier environment.

If you want to be accurate and complete, you must open each and every document with some sort of analysis tool. The script Andreas linked will put the results of that process back into a BusinessObjects document, where you can then sort / filter / break / whatever else you need to do to get the reporting that you need.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

You can also use windows explorer to search the content of a document. That is, if you know the sql an object generates, you can search for this particular sql string.

This may not be what you’re looking for.

SteveBickerton :canada: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)