BusinessObjects Board

Links visible in Launchpad even when sub objects not checked

Just watched SAP BI Platform Security Best Practices webinar and was playing around with Top Level Only Access Level (General/General/View objects, Object only). After applying it on a fresh install, it allowed a user to see Public folders only (no documents), but with the exception of links, which were visible. Just to test if there was something weird with the link I saw, created a new one (as administrator), and that one was visible and active to a test user as well.

Anyone know why links show up when sub objects is not explicitly checked?

charlie :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-20)

Links? Do you mean urls?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I do.

Hi Chaz,

Thanks for coming to the session!

How exactly did you set up to test this?

Does the folder you’re testing with have more than one user group assigned for access with different access levels? If so, is the user you’re testing with in more than one of the groups? Don’t forget that inheritance from other groups or parent folders may be affecting what you’re seeing.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Hi Dell,
You’re welcome!

There’s only one user other than the defaults, and one group besides the defaults. This user is a member of the Everyone group only. If I log in as the user, I see “Sample reports and universes”, a Hyperlink in the Auditing folder. In the Data Federation folder, the user sees nothing, as expected. As Administrator, I created a Hyperlink to Google in the Platform Search folder; the user sees that, but not the Platform Search Scheduling object. So it seems that a member of the Everyone group can see Hyperlinks. Looking at user Security for the top level (Root) folder, Everyone is set to Top Level Only which has General/General/View objects granted to Objects only.

I have had to do something extra for hyperlinks in the past, when building a restrictive security model. I think you had to use a right that wasvspecific to hyperlinks. That was 4.1 SP8 for what it is worth…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Ok, good info, Nick. This is 4.2 SP6 patch 0 on RHEL 7. I’m about to do yet another install on Win 2016; this one will be 4.2 SP6 patch 5 (love AWS!!!). I’ll see if there’s any difference.