BusinessObjects Board

Linking one field in two different dataproviders

I need some help.

I have two universes, one hold inventory information and one holds order information.

I am trying to pull a field that is on the inventory unviverse into a report with the orders.

I created a query that pulled all the inventory for a specific customer, I pulled the customer name, item id and the manufacturer name (which is what I need on my report) This basically gives youthe list of all inventory for a customer.

I then created the query to pull the order data which includes the customer, order create date, item id, quantity.

What I have tried to do is link the item id’s and what I want is if the item id’s match I want to pull the manufacturer name into the report section. I am doing this by linking the item id’s from the two universes and then I created a detail variable associating it with Item ID. The problem is it is not a one for one match. My inventory table holds each item once with its manfuturer name, my orders can have the same item id listed for many different orders. Plus I have 1500 items in the inventory side and I may only have 3 orders created for the order create date range I am providing.

I am hoping that some can give me some guidance on the best way to handle this.

Any help is soo much appreciated.

Thank you,
Cindy

cwebst01 (BOB member since 2005-09-28)

Linking Data Providers isn’t the same as either a UNION nor a Full Outer Join. It may be that you do not have sufficient dimensions between the two data providers to link them properly.

When you link data providers, you can include in the report block the unlinked dimensions from just one of the data providers, and detail and measure objects from both. The detail objects need to have a true one-to-one correspondence with one of the linked dimension objects.

My guess is that you have unlinked dimensions on both sides, and that’s why you’re not getting the results you were expecting.

I suggest you go to Bob’s Downloads and download Steve Bickerton’s presentation Solving the Mystery of Data Provider Synchronization. :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Can You check by linking both customerID’s and ItemID’s in two different Data Providers?

santhoshk :india: (BOB member since 2007-08-10)