BusinessObjects Board

Linked universes

Hi Forum-friends,

1.Did somebody encounter any trouble working with linked universes? (liability of data, etc.)
2.BO doesn’t support linking an universe to an already linked universe. The way to solve this problem, i link first one universe to different universe and then i link a third universe to the first one. BO allows such way of linking universes. My question now is : 1.did somebody use this trick before and 2. knows if there is any problem working with BO in such a way.

Thanks in advance,
Yochai

yochai (BOB member since 2003-11-06)

Did you try a search on BOB, suggested keywords: linked universe

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

… and moving to Designer. 8)

You might take a look at this topic as well.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hello.
I have question about linked universes. I have a universe ‘A’ and I need to link three universes (B,C,D) to it. I created test universes A,B,C,D and tried the linking process. I can query if I select anything from A-B, A-C, A-D but I cannot query if I select B-C,C-D,B-D. I get “Incompatible Combination of objects” even if there is a path via A. Is it that since there is no link directly between them. I have read the threads here and I know that you cannot derive a universe from one itself derived. Is it some similar sort of an issue. I think so as I then removed and created link between B & C and allowing me to do so. Forget everything about the query response time. It’s really bad. I understand that multiple data providers is an option, but the users would not want it, they want a single super-universe. I wanna talk to them explaining the issues before actually linking, but thought would get some ideas and some another ways of achieving this.
Any help would be sincerely appreciable.
Regards,

ASP (BOB member since 2004-04-19)

Anyone any suggestions on this?
Regards

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your question.

If you have 4 base Universes that you want to maintain separatley I would suggest creating a fifth with all of the 4 linked to it. All of the objects from A, B, C, D will be in the Universe and providing you have the correct joins etc you should be OK.

JohnH :uk: (BOB member since 2003-08-19)

Thanks for the reply John.
If I create a fifth new universe with all the four linked to it, is it possible that users can select objects from any of the 4 universes in their query, as far as they are in a single context. Also my question was w.r.t complication as well. Joining would result in almost 100 tables in it, so wouldn’t it be of a problem later, when it goes into production. I am sorry if you have misunderstood with anything.
Regards.

The fact that is a linked universe should not create any problems as long it follows all the usual rules for a stand alone universe.

I’m not aware of any issues with the number of tables other than it being complicated for your users if there are too many objects and it maybe a little awkward for you to maintain. You might want to think about whether your users need to see everything in one place or not.

JohnH :uk: (BOB member since 2003-08-19)

Hi John.

Thanks again. My users certainly want everything at a single place, that’s the reason I am going for linking of these universes. As you mentioned, are there any specific rules that need to be followed?? If yes, can you send me any document that is specific to this. I have gone through the online guides. Please provide any useful insights into linking. I went through the threads and it seemed to me that linked universes are not very much liked. So if any specific rules need to be followed that would reduce problems later, i’ll love to have a list of those.
Ok then Thanks in advance,
Bye.

Hello…
I am in some sort of trouble and am stuck.
As I mentioned about the linking, I have two universes of 4 which are under different user account ‘A’ and two under ‘B’. I understood this when I actually saw the universes today. However I have all the tables used in 2 from ‘A’ developed universes under ‘B’ as well, but the universes are already created from ‘A’. I need to achieve a link. It linked the two universes(U1 and U2), where U1 is from ‘A’ and U2 is from ‘B’, but when I create a join between 2 tables, one from U1 and other from ‘U2’, I get an error.
[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/6000] SQL0204N
“A.Table Name” is an undefined name. SQLSTATE = 42704.
When I did the test I took all B.Tables , so seemed to be ok.
Now what do I do. I am totally stuck.
Please help. Thanks in advance
Regards.

Hello…
I found the solution. Thanks neways.
Regards.

It is always nice if you not just tell the board that you have found a solution, but what your solution was. :mrgreen:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hello.
I am sorrry Andreas, actually I got stuck up with something so could mail the whole thing. I just posted the message so that u guys can help to someone who’s more urgent instead of thinking over it. neways wrt ‘A’ and ‘B’ , the required tables were loaded onto other users and the universes were pointed to that database user, as for linking core and derived universes should be from the same data account. I was getting error because when pointed, it was not finding the respective tables under ‘B’. So with this I could link the universe as well as create a join with table in U1 with table in U2. As I always say, I am not very good at explaining, please let me know if you have any question. I am however trying to improve my explaination ability :wink:
Bye.