BusinessObjects Board

linked universe-added a new object in master universe

I am using BO XI. I have a master universe and about 7 child universes linked to it. When I add a new class/object onto the mater universe and re-import it onto the repository, the child universe should reflect this change automatically right? That isnt happening. Could you please provide me with a solution…

nithya_raj (BOB member since 2007-02-03)

the new object has come through… as the last object though… sorry about tht! but for it to reflect as it is in the master universe, i ll have to anyways do a re-link right?

Hi,
Can you elaborate more?
Some of the information provided by you seems to be ambiguous. Because the knowledge i have about the universe is that when we add class/object to a child universe then these new classes/objects should also appear the parent universe where this child universe has been linked to.

but in your question you says that you added classes/objects in the master universe and you want to reflect it in child universe?

Can you please explain more with example?

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

i have created a master universe, say called master.unv. I have created 2 child universes child1.unv and child2.unv. these child universes are linked to master.unv. I then added a new object in class1 of master.unv. i have added this object as the first object in the class. Then I re-exported master.unv onto the repository. This new object is appearing in class1 of the child universe, but it is appearing as the last object of class1 and not the first object as is present in master.unv. These classes from the master universe are greyed out in the child universe and hence I am unable to drag and drop it onto the right position.

Hi,
I cant figure it out how you will be able to see the objects in the master universe in the child universe with the relationship you have mentioned.
Objects/classes of child universe will be greyed out in Masteruniverse.
“…Unable to drag and drop…” where you want to drag and drop?.. in the reporter edit data provider you will not see any object greyed out you can see all the classes and obejcts from both master as well as the child universe(s)

All,
Can you please correct me if i am wrong.

I think my terms r a little confusing? Probably the child and master should be referred to the other way around… i created master.unv… I exported master.unv onto the repository… I created a new universe called child.unv. Inside the parameters of child.unv, I have added a link to master.unv. I have a class called Class1 in master.unv with 2 objects obj1 and obj2. This class Class1 appears greyed out in child.unv. Then, i added a new object called obj_new inside Class1 of master.unv. This obj_new is the first object inside class1. ie, the order of the objects inside class1 in master.unv is obj_new,obj1,obj2. After this change, i re-exported master.unv into the repository. Now, child.unv is reflecting this new object added, but the order of the objects inside child.unv inside class1 is obj1,obj2,obj_new.

Hi,
Now you got it correct.
In the original and the subsequent mails you were puting it in the exactly opposite way.

Please take a while to type the words full and not the formats used in the chatting.

sure…! sorry about that! how would I set right the order of the objects in child.unv?

There are problems with linked universes – so you’ll find that folks sometimes opt to not use them. One big downside is that once you’ve linked a core universe (what I guess you’re calling your master universe) into another (derived universe – or what you seem to be calling your child universe) – the order of the objects in the core universe are shown properly. But thereafter, when you make changes to the core universe – any new objects get added at the end of the class in the derived universe, not where you’ve positioned them in the core universe.

You can see other discussions by doing a Search within the Semantic Layer forum, one possible keyword: linked

Here’s one fairly recent discussion to get you started.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

will do that! thanks much omkar and anita for your time!

If you need the order of the objects should be same as that of the derived universe then you have to set “Core_Order_Priority=Y” in the *.PRM file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

John

JohnJustus :us: (BOB member since 2007-06-25)

Thanks John for this! In which parameter file should I change it?

Just for reference…

It has be set at a Universe level (for the derived Universe).

Go to File > Parameters > Parameter

Set Core_Order_Priority=Yes

Worked like swell!

Thanks a lot John!

Just taking it a bit further, would I be able to set this option universally in a parameter file so that it gets applied to all Universes in my repository?

Any suggestions pls?

Have you tried this:

dalabera :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-16)

Thanks dalabera. That works, but it is a Universe level parameter. I am looking to set this parameter globally so that I wouldnt have to do it in all of my child universes individually.
Also, I wanted to know if such an option is available in 5.x versions of BO. I cannot see the Parameters TAB in the 5.1 version that I got installed.