BusinessObjects Board

InterviewQuestion:where does BO stores LOVs of "ALL val

Hi All !

Recently I faced a question, more on theorotical side…

:arrow_forward: When we use user defined “ALL Values” in @Prompt, how the “ALL Values” is related to calling every value of specific object?
:arrow_forward: How does it refers to all values through @variable when the “ALL Values” text is simply user defined ?

May I have experts’ comments and explaination on this question?
Can I have any links / white papers / presentation / any other material related to this question?

Thank you in advance,

Kaivalya.

BI_Buddy :us: (BOB member since 2006-04-12)

Moving to Semantic Layer forum. As Dave said, you can get started by reading the Designer FAQs. Good Luck :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Nick!

Thank you for the information, but I have applied "ALL " in LOVs in @Prompt. I was asked HOW does it call every value when one selects "(*)ALL " which I am not able to figure out. :hb:

Regards,
Kaivalya.

Hi,

Have you read this?
I think Cindy explain it very clearly.

jerryf :fr: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the link, but I have already implemented “(*)All Values” in my @Prompt. Practically I can do that without any error.
I faced a question in an interview, which I have posted as the topic of this discussion.

I would like to know how does it happens! - - the logic or the mechanism behind the action. If we are coding something like this…

SELECT    DISTINCT
  PRODUCTS.PROD_NAME
FROM
  PRODUCTS
UNION
SELECT ' * ALL PRODUCTS'
FROM
  PRODUCTS

the ‘* ALL PRODUCTS’ is stored no-where in database, still it refers to @variable in OR condition… something like this…

PRODUCTS.PROD_NAME  IN @Prompt('Select Product(s)' , 'A' , 'Products\Prod Name' , multi, free)
 OR 
' * ALL PRODUCTS'  IN @Variable('Select Product(s)')

So the interviewer wanted me to explain HOW this happens?

This may help others also!
all valueable inputs are welcome!

Thanks & Regards,
Kaivalya. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but i don’t know how i can be clearer than Cindy. The post in the FAQ explain the logic of the code. It details how works the two part of the code and there are excellent examples given.
I can comment the example :

(@Select(Sales Geography\Country Group) IN @Prompt('Select Country Group or
enter * for all groups','a','Sales Geography\Country Group',multi,free) ) OR
('*' in @Prompt('Select Country Group or enter * for all groups','a','Sales
Geography\Country Group',multi,free))

If a user selects ‘USA’, the following statement results… : COUNTRY IN ‘USA’ OR ‘USA’ IN ‘*’

COUNTRY IN ‘USA’ will return values for USA
‘USA’ IN ‘*’ is a wrong statement and will return nothing
With the OR combination, it will return results for USA.

If the user selects the asterisk, the following statement results… : COUNTRY IN ‘’ OR '’ IN ‘*’

COUNTRY IN ‘’ will return nothing since there is no contry name * in the db.
'
’ IN ‘*’ is a true statement its boolean value is 1.
So with the OR combination you have something like "select where 1 from " which is the same as "select from

". And it will return all result.

It’s just SQL syntax and logical combination.

jerryf :fr: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)