BusinessObjects Board

Interview Questions

Hi All,

So far I have created 4-5 universes for deferent projects.
When i am attanding the interview , interviewer asking me that have you faced any problems while designing universe.

But when i am designing the universe , i never faced any that kind of difficult problems.
because i use to add the table into structure pane as per doc ,create joins and create proper context etc…

Here , interviewer what kind of answers are expecting from me?

Please let me know friends…
OR
anybodies faced that kind of problems, please share with me.

Advance thanks
Partha

GPS (BOB member since 2006-06-20)

Oh come on, you’ve never had any problems when creating a universe? All your objects parsed first time? You didn’t have any chasm or fan traps? You didn’t have any tricky design decisions to make? How does it really help you if I tell you about problems I have had when creating universes? Doesn’t that mean you’d then be not telling the truth in an interview if you mentioned these problems that actually you had never faced and therefore never fixed? Why would you do that?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I wish I never had had a problem building a universe… the day I never have a single problem in a universe as I’m developing it is that day I didn’t develop it…

lol

David_Dadoun :canada: (BOB member since 2006-04-21)

Typcial problems that arrise with developing Business Objects Universe are Loops, Chasm Traps, and Fan Traps.
[list]Loops
[:979eea8ee9]Two different paths for a join, and the universe is not sure which path to take.
[
:979eea8ee9]Result in too few rows being returned.
[:979eea8ee9]Solved by creating aliases and contexts to break loop.[/list]
[list]Chasm Traps
[
:979eea8ee9]Occur when two N-to-1 (many-to-one) joins converge from two fact tables to one dimension or lookup table.
[:979eea8ee9]Result in too many rows being returned.
[
:979eea8ee9]Solved by creating a context.[/list]
[list]Fan Traps
[:979eea8ee9]Occurs when you have three tables joined by 1-to-N joins, and the query includes an aggregated measure from the first table.
[
:979eea8ee9]Result in too many rows being returned.
[*:979eea8ee9]Solved by creating an alias, creating a context using the alias, then building the affected measure objects on the alias.[/list]

Will these answers help you with your interviews?

Where do you currently reside? If you are looking for work in the Metro Washington DC area, my company Guident is hiring. Let me know if you would like for me to get you in touch with our hiring manager?

adagetz :us: (BOB member since 2005-10-20)

Seen this?

Adam, recruiting is not allowed on BOB, thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)