BusinessObjects Board

Increased audit functionality

Does Version 6 offer any sort of increased functionality for auditing who is using what and when? It seems that I read that somewhere, but I can’t find any information about it.

We create reports in FC and publish them to Webi where our users access them. We want to track who is running which report, and we are trying to figure out if v6 makes it easier to do this, or if we need to buy Auditor or some 3rd party product.

Erin Aasted :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

You can find out about Zabo and Webi users using the audit tables. There is a universe available for that. Start reading here

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Erin,

From what we have seen so far there is little more in E6 than in 5x at least on the Monitoring front. They have changed the table structure somewhat. But it is still fairly basic.

I am not sure If auditor for E6 is released but it will be pretty much the same. A pre-built dashboard against the audit tables and the repository tables. But nothing you could not build with a universe and a few reports

We are one of those 3rd part tool vendors. We did actually finish our tests of our Product against E6 today and it if fully operational.

We provide you with details such as Username, Report Name, Prompt values selected by the user, query time, number of lines, objects inside the report, …

Hope this helps

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)

Cindy: Thanks for the link. I’d read your topic previously and it contains a lot of good information.

Klaus: Thank you for your post. I had been hoping that the new version would offer more functionality, but I guess that was just a dream.

I think of this version as focusing its efforts on bringing WebI closer in functionality to full-client.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I’m willing to share my audit universe. It ain’t perfect but it works for me. I also have some reports. I’m going to get it uploaded to BOB. I have a little ‘vacation’ next week and I’m going to pretty it up a bit. I’ve added some stuff to the canned one.

Wonderful! Thank you so much.

Will you post it to this topic or somewhere else?

It will probably get posted to the “Code Samples” forum, with a link from this topic to the posting. 8)

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yep :yesnod: . It will be some time next week.

What are the impacts of starting the Audit logs on the performance of the servers. Any benchmark or any info will be helpful…

JaiGupta (BOB member since 2002-09-12)

You’d think it would be very bad, but it isn’t. Turning on auditing seems to only affect performance in a very small way. We’ve seen it to be in the 10 TO 15% level.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I haven’t seen any negative impact at all. I log to database. I’m not V6 though.

Like I said, it isn’t bad. If you server isn’t overly busy, you won’t notice at all. On servers that are already underpowered, you’ll likely see some small degradation.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

My audit universe has been posted to the download area. You can get it here. Comments and questions welcome! :mrgreen:. Also, if you improve upon it, let me know. We’ll get your stuff added. Keep in mind that it works for me and my installation and use of the tools. YMMV :wink:

Thank you so much for sharing this. :smiley:

You are truly welcome!