BusinessObjects Board

Incorrect Permissions and Universe Creation

Hi,

Ive got two problems…

In an effort to sort out a problem I was having with a universe, I deleted the universe using Superviser and attempted to re-export it from my local PC.

When attempting to open the local .unv file I get the folowing error:
“You are not authorised to use this universe”

But I created it and nothing has changed with the set up of BO on my system! Except for the DSN in the Connection which had its username and password changed.

Any thoughts… Id rather not have to re-create it…

Secondly,

I thought Id attempt to re-create it, or at least get the bits working that I was having trouble with, and when I add a table to designer, the only fields that I can see on the page are those that are numeric/and or/those that are primary or foreign keys… Ive looked but can’t find an option anywhere to get the other fields displaying…

Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps.

scott.thornton (BOB member since 2002-09-17)

Hi Scott and Welcome!

The answer to this part of your question is in the FAQ’s. In fact, there are two FAQ’s with cross links. Here is one. Within it is a link to the other. Please let us know if it answers your question.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Hi,

During the creation of my universe I have deleted it and then re-exported it many times.

It is only this last time that the error has occured.

Shouldn’t I have permissions enough to access a universe I have created and exported from my local pc? The .unv files is on my PC.

I have Supervisor-Designer access in the domain thingy I want to export to.

Any ideas?

[quote:65116d8eca=“scott.thornton”]During the creation of my universe I have deleted it and then re-exported it many times.
[/quote]

Ahhh but did you log out between? If you export a universe then delete it from Stuporvisor and subsequently log out, it WILL invariably give you this message. The universe will keep the security bit that says ‘I’m secure and my name is John’. When you close BO and log back in, ‘John’ is no longer in your list of authorized universes. He has been deleted. But, John on your PC still thinks he is secure.

Now did I just repeat what was in the FAQ :rotf: . Somebody remind me why we thought the FAQ’s would be a time saver :wink: . If this helps to clarify it we’ll add a bit to the FAQ.

Hi,

Ive no doubt you are being helpful, but what the FAQ does not point out and what you have not pointed out is:

Can i rescue the universe file on my PC and re-export it?

That is what I wish to know.

If it is impossible to re-create it myself, it it possible to have someone with higher permissions take the file and export it?
Maybe rename it and the export it?

[quote:480800362d=“scott.thornton”]Ive no doubt you are being helpful, but what the FAQ does not point out and what you have not pointed out is:

[/quote]

Did you read the faq in its entirety? It says…

[list] A deleted universe or document will no longer be accessible by anyone other than a General Supervisor. The General Supervisor may open the file and save for all users to share it with others[/list]

[quote:94665f5db8=“scott.thornton”]Hi,

Ive no doubt you are being helpful, but what the FAQ does not point out and what you have not pointed out is:

That is what I wish to know.

If it is impossible to re-create it myself, it it possible to have someone with higher permissions take the file and export it?
Maybe rename it and the export it?
[/quote]

No…you cannot recreate it. The General Supervisor can. :nonod:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Thank you all for your advice.

I went and found the general-supervisor username and password only to discover the password has chaged and we have not been notified. So now Im locked out… Ill have to wait until the admin is back tomorrow from sick leave.

Any thoughts on my second quetion from my first post?

What database are you using? I use Oracle and when I insert the table, I see all the fields in the table in the window. It may have to do with permissions. If you don’t have permission to view all the fields in the table, then it will only show you the ones that you have permission to see!
:mrgreen:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Once exported, a document is secured by the addition of a Universe_Id. Deleting the Universe let the Repository removed all references to that Universe_Id, so now when you try to open it, it doesn’t see that Scott can Open Universe 11, because there is no Universe 11.

As stated, a General Supervisor can open and re-export this universe (once again making Universe 11 available), or the GS can do a Save for All Users which removes any associated id.

Press Ctrl-T to cycle through this. You must have double-clicked some table headers or press these keys by mistake. It rotates through the Full Tables, Table Names (with Joins) and Table Names and Join Criteria. It allows you to track your table relationships easier.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)