BusinessObjects Board

Including '*' or 'ALL' for prompts

Hi there,

I have found the answer in another thread, and it works nicely.

@Select(class\object) IN @Prompt(‘Select blah’,‘A’,class\object’,multi,free) or (’*’ IN @Prompt(‘Select blah’,‘A’,‘class\object’,multi,free))

However, is there a way to actually include the ‘*’ in the LOV dropdown? Webi has a funny prompt in that the values remain static unless you move to another field. I know this sounds silly, but the users can be so lazy that they can’t be bothered to tab to the next field… they’ve actually been discussing this in a meeting!

ghostman :switzerland: (BOB member since 2006-01-12)

Do a search on custom lov and all. That will get you what you’re looking for! :mrgreen:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

To include ALL, Customize your LOV… along the lines, and, If your DATABASE is Oracle.

SELECT DISTINCT TABLE.FIELD
FROM TABLE
UNION
SELECT ‘ALL’ FROM DUAL

Check the box ‘DO NOT GENERATE SQL BEFORE RUNNING’.

Note : If you use the above code for customizing your LOV, ‘ALL’ will be shown always as one its option wherever you use it in your reports.

Good Luck.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Another alternative is to create a separate object with a constant ‘ALL’ (associated with the DUAL table), and use that object in a union query in the LOV. You can also reference that same object via @Select in the pre-defined conditions. Same exact result, but I generally dislike overriding SQL. Plus, if you ever need to change ‘ALL’ to say ‘*’ you only have to change it in one place.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

That’s the way that I prefer to do it! :yesnod:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Hi,
This topic is been discussed a lot on the forum.

Still i’ll give you the solution

So if you want to accept the “All” or “"
then do insert one condition
=
or
matches pattern <“All”>/<"
”>

so if you enter “All” or “*” then it’ll byspass the condition which refres to the database values.

even though you are mathcing a character then also database finds the value in teh database which will fetch any data.

so try to use my solution

i have tested it a quiet a lot of times

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

Omkar, the question was not how to use “all”, but how to include that (the “all”) in the list of values to be selected. Your solution is similar to the Designer FAQ but does not provide for the ALL or * to show up in the list to be selected.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,
The list of values which we get in the universe based reports are the “List of Table Value” which we get in the universe.

So i doubt whether it is possible or not.

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

Of course it is possible. :slight_smile: Read the entire topic, specifically this post.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks everyone, it works a treat. Another way is to make an object ‘*’ in the universe and include it in the LOV.

ghostman :switzerland: (BOB member since 2006-01-12)

Now that the thread is complete, I’ll move it to the Semantic Layer forum where it belongs :rotf: .

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)