BusinessObjects Board

In new schema all tables and col names are changed.

The DB services have decided to rename all the tables and column names in the data warehouse.

I have to redefine my universe structure according to that.
I have following in mind.

1. Insert new tables/aliases one by one.
2. Redefine the joins.
3. Modify the object definitions.

Is there any easy approach? Otherwise definitely I am going to go Nuts doing all this.
I am having a lot of Aliases. Including aliases there are around 400 tables in universe structure and I have more than 2500 objects.

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

That seems to be quite a radical approach. Have they analyzed the impact on the Business Objects universe(s) before they made that decision :?:

Synonyms/views might help you probably or directly updating the repository tables, which hold the universe definitions (which I would not recommend). Or an SDK Designer approach using VBA mapping NewTableName.columns <–> old OldTableName.columns

:blue:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

They might have done that as I have been told that the decision was taken at a higher level to comply with some naming conventions as per organizational policy. :reallymad: :reallymad:

I just thought of another idea.

:idea: If I create views over new tables giving them the old names (as are the original table in my current universe) that might save the whole trouble.
I will have to give it a try.

We have around 30 types of Titles for the employees. So I have to alias the title table 30 times. This title table is joined with two fact tables. So I have to alias it 2*30 times.

There is one more table like that :cuss: :cuss:

We were thinking of same thing at same time 8)

I will work on this one for redefining my objects.
I will have to try if this can work with my joins too.

mkumar – do all of the new tables have the same columns as the old tables? If so – there is an easier way that should work.

Open your universe in Designer. Click a table once to select/highlight it. Then right-click and choose Rename Table. Enter the corrected table info in the dialog box that comes up.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I am not sure yet, but I think the column names will also be changed.

Will renaming the table name, actually point it to the new table?
Will this approach work if my col names have also changed?
I can take care of my object definitions later if atleast the structure is in place.

I did a quick testing.
Renaming the table names and then refreshing the uinverse structure actually points the table to the new table. It means the old table is replaced with the new table.
Only thing is all the joins became invalid (which was expected).
But the big advantage is that I need not to delete the original universe structure.
Now I have to deal with redefining all the joins and object definitions.
Any ideas here?
Thanks for the big tip Anita.

An SDK solution was mentioned earlier … automated, yet supported (since it doesn’t manipulate the repository directly). Not sure if it will work for you, but these items in the BOB’s Downloads area may give you some ideas of what’s possible:

Add joins to universe / joins to contexts using Designer SDK
Mass update to object names / descriptions

The second one can be tweaked to update Select statements.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)