BusinessObjects Board

Implementing multiple Security Domains

We are currently in an environment with ver6.5 and are in the process of migrating from a main frame backend to a LAN based backend. A topic that has come up is should we implement a security domain for each sub-system (DEV, TEST, PROD) at this time?

We currently have a single Security Domain for all sub-systems with multiple document repsositories for each sub-system.

A reason for consideration on this path is the ability to upgrade to another version easier at each sub-system.

What kind of issue could we see if we implemented multiple security domains besides the maintenance of users to each sub-system?

estaup (BOB member since 2002-10-15)

There is a Supervisor FAQ that you might take a look at. And, here’s a really old topic from the listserv days where someone lamented about the problems in dealing with multiple security domains.

I believe that if you were to migrate to version XI R2, you’d be happier with how they manage migrations between repositories via BIAR files (although I cannot speak from experience, since we’re on on XI).

And, since this a repository question more than a WebI server question, I’m moving this topic from “WebI Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades” to “Security and User Administration” ==> Supervisor sub-forum.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)