BusinessObjects Board

Impact Analysis of Reports

Hi

I am just wondering if there is a tool or method available of easily and efficiently impacting reports against a universe change.

WE have 100s of reports built against a number of universes.
What I would like (if it is possible) to do is, when there is a change to object(s) within any of the the universes, identify which reports would be affected without having to open and search every report individually.

Even a utility to list which universe objects are used in a report would be useful.

All help gratefully received.

Sandi :crazy_face:

BOb 5.1.8
WebI 2.1.7

SandiR :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-20)

Moving to General Discussion.

Have a look in BOB’s Downloads. There is a utility written in VBA that can provide this information for full client reports. However, you must have access to these reports… meaning that “private” reports that exist only on user workstations won’t be included. It is designed so that you put your reports in a directory on your computer and run this utility. The result is a CSV file that can be used as input for a BusinessObjects report, or opened in Excel.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave

I think I am being a bit dense here - I had a look at the available downloads on the BusinessObjects site but could not find such a utility.
I don’t suppose you have a link do you?

Cheers, Sandi

Please, take a look here.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

OK - found it - copied it. :yesnod:

But how do I use it - I am not a VBA expert. :confused:

Please help :nonod:

It is the BEST utility and Inorder to take advantage of it you have to put some effort…

Follow these steps:
a) open a new bo report…
b) Go To Tools --> Macro --> Visual Basic Editor…
c) Copy and Paste the whole code in the editor window.
d) Find the file paths and change the name… or create new ones…
e) Compile the code…
f) Resolve any errors… ask here in this forum… with specific errors…
g) Use it to your analysis…

Hope this gives you some idea… and in an hour or two you will successfully take advantage of it…

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Many, many thanks folks - I eventually had worked out how to use it - does me good to use the old grey matter a bit more.

Nice to have it confirmed I had done it correctly though.

Cheers all.