BusinessObjects Board

IIS or Tomcat; E6.5.1

Hello Everyone

This is my first time to configure the Webi Server to run Webi and AppF (actually just a dashboard.)

Is there any reason that leads towards to ISS along or Tomcat Installation? I have one server, so it’ll be Apache/Tomcat or IIS on a single machne scenario. Is it any particular preference to use one or another?

Thanks a lot, Marina

m.volcheg (BOB member since 2004-08-12)

There is one good reason. AF won’t work with IIS only. AF is a JSP solution and requires that you use an App server. Apache/Tomcat is the simple and free solution.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Thanks, Steve!

m.volcheg (BOB member since 2004-08-12)

I think there was someone on BOB that mentioned they had configured the JSP version of BO on IIS (using Tomcat/ISS rather than Tomcat/Apache). I tried to find the posting - no luck. I haven’t heard of anyone else doing that though…

Regards,
Chris

cjweis (BOB member since 2003-10-02)

I think in 6.5, you can use Tomcat and IIS together via the redirector. But, why bother?

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

IIS is easier to configure than Apache (my personal opinion). For example, one problem we have now with Apache is how it handles redirects:

INPUT: http://bo.mydomain.com/wijsp (no “/” on the end)
…redirects to…
OUTPUT: http://computername.mydomain.com/wijsp/

The result: Some random users have ZABO keys on their PC called “computername.mydomain.com”, which will be annoying if we ever migrate our WebI server to a different machine.

Also, I’ll bet Windows Integrated Authentication configuration is easier on IIS than Apache (since it’s better integrated with Windows)…

Annoying little things like that make me lean toward IIS over Apache, especially with the great performance/stability improvements in Windows Server 2003, although I’m sure many Apache gurus would disagree :wink:

Regards,
Chris

We’ve been experimenting with IIS/Tomcat on 6.5.1. This seems to be the only way to get Integrated Windows Authentication to work properly.

Not sure of how well AF would work.

Infoview works fine, but I haven’t been able to get the WebI Java panel to work yet :(.

I actually have IIS and Apache both set up. Funny thing is, if I go to the IIS page first (http://server/wijsp), let it log in, then modify the URL to point to the Apache server (http://server:85/wijsp/…), everything works.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Joe,
We have E6.1b in production with Integrated Windows Authentication using IIS as web & App servers. I want to start testing AF (mainly dashboard manager) which requires JSP app server. I would like to try IIS/Tomcat. Could you share your experience on IIS/Tomcat installation and configuration processes? The documentation I was able to find were Apache/Tomcat.

Thanks in advance.

shuj (BOB member since 2004-04-30)

Since IIS/Tomcat support was new with 6.5.1, I’m hoping that AF 6.5.1 will document its process too.

I’ll report back my experience.

Joe

FYI – something similar to this might help for enabling “windows integrated authentication” in Apache:

FYI - I successfully set up AF 6.5.1 to use the IIS/Tomcat connector and Windows Authentication.

Couldn’t get web supervisor to work, but not really a problem since it doesn’t use passthrough authentication anyway…

Joe

Did you ever get your web panel to work?? I’m in the same situation as you. It’s always something!!

ZaboCan (BOB member since 2003-02-13)

Yes, I did! Somehow, /wijsp/servlet/*=ajp disappeared from (or was never added to) my uriworkermap.properties files. Once I put it back in, everything worked fine.

Joe

[quote=“joepeters”]Yes, I did! Somehow, /wijsp/servlet/*=ajp disappeared from (or was never added to) my uriworkermap.properties files. Once I put it back in, everything worked fine.

Joe[/quote]

I want to set up IIS/Tomcat for BO 6.5.1 on a test server. Installed Apache2.0.46 and Tomcat 4.1.30. Try to follow the document “Tomcat_IIS_Connector.pdf” downloaded from BO Tech Support site but I am having trouble finding IIS ISAPI redirector. Please help. Thanks.

shuj (BOB member since 2004-04-30)

Hi shuj,

I got it from BO tech support, but you can download it from Apache here

Joe

Just for info i thought i would add this document as there seems to be very little info on this subject when i have been searching round the net and most site (including jakata) have a link to a doc that dosn’t exist anymore. This is basically a how to for iis 6 with Tomcat 5.0.28.

Thought some of you guys may find it usefull. ALso i can confirm it works as I have been through the document and have a working install. I have also attached a copy of the workers2.properties file so that you can see which of uri settings are needed for webi as this document is ngeneric and not aimed at BO users!! :lol:

Enjoy (if thats the right word to use)

Click Here Can’t upload the doc for some reason but this is probably a better way to do it anyway. Although it would be nice to have another copy somewhere incase the link for this doc goes missing!!! :wink:
workers2.zip (0.0 KB)

komoshon :uk: (BOB member since 2003-07-14)

the doc i mentioned above is now available form here

komoshon :uk: (BOB member since 2003-07-14)