BusinessObjects Board

IDT derived tables columns in reverse order and how to see mappings

It’s been a while since I worked in BO and I have been asked to look at a universe in IDT that has derived tables in and one of these derived tables need updating. In the derived table I am looking at when I look at the sql I noticed the order of the columns seems reversed so the sql for the derived table is,

select a, b, c from table

But the derived table in IDT appears as,

Table
c,
b,
a

Is this normal behaviour to reverse it ?

The issue I having is trying to map the derived table sql to the actual fields in the derived table listed, it appears they may have also renamed the derived table fields once created, is there any easy way in IDT to see how the derived table sql maps to the derived table itself?

Thanks

Your universe may be configured to display the table columns in alphabetical order instead of how they are entered in the database or derived table. You may have just been “lucky” enough that your particular table shows the columns in reverse order. This only affects how the columns are displayed in the Data Foundation, it does not have any effect on how the SQL is generated. For tables with lots of columns, sorting in alphabetical order can make it easier to find specific columns. This is set by the Columns Sort property of the Data Foundation, but it only takes affect if set before adding any tables form my observations. You probably won’t be able to change this.

I think you may mean the objects created from the derived table instead of what you are calling fields. You can find the objects that a particular table (whether derived or not) uses by right clicking on the table in the Business Layer and choosing the “Show Associated Objects” option. That will highligh all of the objects in the object list that are associated with that particular table.

1 Like