BusinessObjects Board

I have 20,000 users, we have to generate reports.

hello everybody,

i have a issue here that is: I am using BOXI R2 on .net framework2.0(IIS Web Server)

Issue:
I have 20,000 users, we have to generate reports for 20,000 users.
we have to keep security so that every user can see his/her own data.

Can anyone please help me how to solve the issue in step wise.

thankyou in anticipation
john.

johnedward (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

Welcome to BOB :mrgreen:

I don’t think anyone is going to do that. Your question needs a lot of details to answer. It’s like me asking you - Is it colder in winter than it is in Alaska?
Please provide us with more details.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Hi John,

I believe this presentation from Steve Krandel will help you:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

I am sorry i am new to forum topics,

coming to the issue:

If i want to keep row level security for 20,000 users
it is difficult for me to keep row level security for each and every user.

Is there any other way I can modify the universe by creating view or adding table to set the security login so that each user can see his/her only report.

johnedward (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

You don’t need to apply the security for each and every user. Instead, create Groups of users and apply security as per your requirement.
Please have a look at this post for basics.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Do the user ids(same as Busobj userid) along with their data restriction details(any dimension like cost center) are stored in a DB table?
Then you can join this table to a fact or lookup table in the universe using something like

User_table.cost_center= fact_table.cost_center and user_table.userid=@VARIABLE('BOUSER') 

This procedure applies if user details are present in a DB table.

There are other options too like ‘enable datasource credentials for Busobj universes’ in the CMC which is used when each DB user(schema) maps on to Busobj user.
The access restrictions in Designer also can be used to apply restrictions on users/groups.

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)