BusinessObjects Board

HOWTO: copy variables from dream.rep to muibueno_wannabe.rep

EHLO

I have neat dream.rep file with numerous user made variables with well-thought formulas etc…

Now I would like to copy those variables to another muibueno_wannabe.rep-file and use those in it.

Any tips how to make it smoother instead of manually traversing through the variables in the dream.rep and then go through new variable, name, paste - cycle.

I see that this could be done with record-macro and then tweaking the underlying VBA, but if there is no record-macro, then is there anyway to do it?

/vaapo

vaapo (BOB member since 2007-01-08)

Nope. Variables live only in the document in which they are created. They cannot be coppied to another document. The best you can do is copy the formula from a variable, and paste it into a new variable in another document.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

EHLO

How to make a variable report from BO report iow. the report containing information about the reports in one specific dream.rep - file.

In such report it would be good to have listing of the following as well:

• alerts
  • filters
  • variables - queries
  • user defined variables
  • used template
  • used universes
  • etc. any metadata

From such report the copy-paste could be done much easier than jumping between two reports and going through the copy-paste cycles - my poor mouse-hand :blue:

/vaapo

If you want to copy all that to a new document, why not just take the first document, and Save As a new document, then modify the new one as needed.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Another alternative can be found here … Copy Data Providers / Copy Report Variables

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

EHLO

Thanx All -

1.) this “save as”-copy method sounds like having A Master report with all the reports in it with numerous data providers etc. which leads to pollution in the variables listings. I see it a bit problematic to have the variable-naming going berzerk with ‘query-family’-names. The ‘user-space’ variables in the reports then should carry those full name#query-variable namings. But actually this has been the method I have so far been able to copy best practices from report to report.

2.) The .rea - trick – is this upwards compatible etc. :slight_smile: I need to have eye on it, really. Why this functionality isn’t in the ‘vanilla’-boxi implementation :hb:

/vaapo