BusinessObjects Board

How to use an Excel file for compare in Universe?

Good Morning Everyone, the location I’m working at uses version 5.1.8 of BO. Here’s my delima, there’s no training manual or anything like that. Here’s my quesiton, I have an excel file wich contains a list of numbers I would like to use for searching against a universe in BO. How would I get that excel file in a “Universe” or “object” that I could use in BO? I hope this is not to vague.

Thanks.

satexasuser (BOB member since 2007-01-16)

Believe me your post is confusing to me…

If you are creating a report from Universe and compare the list of numbers from EXCEL, then you can create a new DP in your report and compare it.

Is this what you want ? If this not it is, then provide more details… what you are trying to achieve…

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

satexasuser,

Welcome to B:bob:B!

Well, with 5.1.8, your options are quite limited. If you want to use the list from teh Excel spreadsheet in a condition of a universe query, your only option would be to have the DBA upload your spreadsheet into a table in the database, then add that table to the universe. You could then create a query with a subquery.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Sorry BO_Chief, I’ll be a bit clearer nex time.

MichaelWelter: you hit it right on the head, what you described as a potential solution is what we were trying to avoid, but if that’s what we have to do then that’s what we have to do. Just a question, with the new release is it a bit easier to do this type of query?
Thank you all so much for you help.

Would you happen to know where I could pick up a manual for the 5.1.8? I’ll in chicago next week so anyplace I could look for a book would be great.

satexasuser (BOB member since 2007-01-16)

Yes, the newer version has that feature built in. You can create a data provider from your spreadsheet, then use the results of that in the condition of a query with a universe. This feature was added in 6.1.

As for a book, the User Guide that comes with it is the only one I know of.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Another option is discussed here …

Create an InList from an Excel spreadsheet

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)